1950 Starlite Coupe Questions About Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Starlite Coupe Questions About Trim

Here's a 1950 Champion Starlite Coupe on ebay listed as C3 trim.
    1. The 3 trim shouldn't have the rocker stainless, should it?
    2. Isn't that flat 2 spoke steering wheel with flat horn button only for the CUSTOM trim line?
    3. In the picture just before the spare tire picture, what is that bump on the top inner corner of the driver's seat back? Thanks

BTW, he lists the engine has having the Stromberg BXOV-26, which is the Commander carb, but it does have the correct Carter 715-S.

The chrome rockers are not 1950. They are 47-49 vintage. The steering wheel and thehorn button are only for the "cutom" line (C1). The bump on the drivers side front crner is the wheel well inside the trunk.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
      The chrome rockers are not 1950. They are 47-49 vintage. The steering wheel and thehorn button are only for the "cutom" line (C1). The bump on the driver's side front crner is the wheel well inside the trunk.

Mark
      Here's the picture of the bump on the top inner corner of the driver's seat back. I don't know how this could be a wheel well?Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlite Seat Bump.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1695709

Comment

The gravel guards are 47-49 c5 as mentioned above. The rocker trim could be dealer installed but it and the chrome/stainless around the window on the doors was c5 also I think but the vent windows should also be chrome if c5. It looks a little different with painted vent windows and trim on the door.

The steering wheel is the base or custom style wheel but some early c3 or delux cars also had it. I think that wheel is probably not original to the car. The inner fenders should also be body color.

Is that bump you are referring to maybe due to the rear door panel not fitting correctly under the window rubber?

This all said, everyone is welcome to add upgrades and dealers often did it if requested to make a sale.

This car appears nice and the price seems real reasonable to me from what I see.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Click on my picture in #3 and look at the air gap between the front seat backs. Now follow it to the top corner of the drivers seat back. Am I the only one that sees a large metal looking bump there? I can't figure out what it could be. I wonder if it's just a very poor seat upholstery job where the sewn edge is way out of place?

Comment

I think that is an optical illusion. To me, it appears the shadow below the top of the inside of the driver's seat causes the lighter, higher area to be a bulge.

I have now confused myself. <G>
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

I believe what appears to be the "bump" you refer to is just the camera angle giving the re-upholstered cushion an odd look. Whoever upholstered it ran the seam bead the wrong way. It should have gone up the side and across the front top of the cushion, instead of up, back and down the rear.
              And the stainless moldings on the rocker panels themselves are the same as used through 1952.
              If the question is, should these be on a C3, the answer would be yes, if the customer ordered them or had dealer-installed.

The seller DOES indicate it has been "refurbished...to driver condition." Not a show car. It appears nice but a lot of details have been passed over.
              If I were bidding, this is one I would want to crawl under before parting with my money.
              Last edited by rockne10; 03-01-2015, 03:54 PM.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

i see what you're talking about. idk if it is metal or "stuffing" that moved causing that. i suppose one could ask the seller what it is. if someone is nearby in Arizona it would be easy to tell by feel.

since it has met the reserve at now $10,999 with 4 days to go, it will probably go higher.

EDIT: while i was typing slow as usual, others posted - i don't think it's a camera problem as nothing else looks strange. but maybe so(?)...
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Not arguing with better informed people then me, but the original 1950 Champion Starlite in the garage here has the same rocker trim as the car for sale in Arizona. Ordered by a twenty one year old women in Billings Montana and driven to Seattle where the car and she lived until her death. Mary is the third owner of the car, with the second owner having the car for about one year before selling it to her. We have the original sales order, which includes all the Olson Motors dealer options, but does not include the rocker trim, which this car has carried since it's sale date on May 5th 1950. So either the car, that she ordered from the factory, came with the trim, or they were put on at the dealership at no additional charge. I find the second possibly highly unlikely, but I see no rocker trim in the accessary booklet that I have here.-Bill

Comment

Bill, do you know if the body tag on the firewall reads C3, or does it read C5? Thanks, Tom

Comment

Tom,

The body tag reads 9G C5. So how was the level 5 trim package different from the others?-Bill

Comment

C5 was the top trim line and that's why it has the rocker trim. This one I posted about has C3 which is the middle trim, the same as my 50 Champion.

Comment

Working...
                        X