Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflections on driving my first Studebaker

Hello,

I thought this forum would be an appropriate place to share an article I wrote over my first experience driving an old Stude'. Please read and enjoy. Feel free to share the article on social media and with friends.

A link to the article: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/tak...ker-1680043343

Regards,
    Aaron Starnes

This vehicle is for sale in north Texas

Thanks for posting. Now you understand why we love our Studebakers!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnstarn View Post
      Hello,

I thought this forum would be an appropriate place to share an article I wrote over my first experience driving an old Stude'. Please read and enjoy. Feel free to share the article on social media and with friends.

A link to the article: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/tak...ker-1680043343

Regards,
      Aaron Starnes

This vehicle is for sale in north Texas
      Nice job on the story. I did see one minor error. The overdrive operates with the button/lever pushed in rather than out. When is is out the overdrive is locked out.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Aaron, nice photos and a good read. I grew up with these cars and gained an appreciation of their qualities while they were still new, or relatively so. I now own a 1950 Commander 4-door that is in wonderful condition and is a dream to drive. I agree with much of your assessment of the driving experience in these old cars. If you have to have all the modern gadgets then you might not appreciate the old cars. I for one prefer the feel of the old cars. The connectedness to the road that has disappeared in the new ones. As for design, I have always felt that Studebaker was way out ahead of the rest of the makers. Considering they were building wheeled conveyances decades before all of the rest of the manufacturers made that all the more real. I drive a 1961 Studebaker truck to work and love the attention it gets every time I am behind the wheel. It is a joy. I just love these vehicles and I am very glad you got the opportunity to see for yourself what all the attention is about. There are no better people then Studebaker people, and no better old vehicles to fall in love with than Studebakers.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks for the story. One other factoid, often overlooked, is that 1952 was the Centennial for the Studebaker Corporation. What other vehicle manufacturer could claim that in 1952?

Welcome to our forum. Don't be a "Drive-By." Join the SDC, a regional chapter, and who knows...buy that, or some other Studebaker. Remember, those common makes are everywhere...but a Studebaker, is something special.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
          X