How Can I Know Studebaker Luggage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I Know Studebaker Luggage?

One of the accessories for the 1950 Studebakers was a set of luggage. How many years did Studebaker sell luggage as an accessory, and how can I know this luggage is the right stuff if I was to see it somewhere? Thanks

You can always look in the trunk of my 53. It came with a full set. AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD, If you believe that I have some other stuff to sell. LOL I have never seen any that I knew was Studebaker. I do know it was still in the 53 accessories book.

Comment

I have photos of the set.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Any labels or other identifiers in or on your luggage? Have always thought that the thing to do would be to measure the trunk, figure out what would fit, try to find some old suitcases that "fit" the bill and then cover or re-cover to match. Did see an early-mid '50's Mercedes convertible once with a set of luggage designed to take up every bit of available trunk space; very impressive!

Comment

The first image below shows a '48 Champion. Note the spare tire stowed horizontally. This image was used on the front cover of a four page advertising piece sent to all dealers in October 1948. It includes nine photos and is entitled, "Smart Luggage Custom Designed For Studebakers." In the 1950 accessory booklet the identical photo is used but no sign of the spare tire (which was mounted vertically). The second image is a single page flyer sent to dealers in June 1952. Prices I thought were pretty steep for that era, retail $39.50 for the men's large two suiter.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage 48 champ copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1695662 Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage adv flyer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1695663
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I wonder who the "famous name manufacturer" was? What a feat it would be to find a complete set!

Comment

Wonder why women needed "four pieces" and men needed only "two"!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Wonder why women needed "four pieces" and men needed only "two"!
                Really? You wonder? Ever been married? Oh yeah, wimmin need six pieces, not four. My bad!
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Did you catch the typo on the second page? "trucks" for "trunks".
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If the first photo Mr. Quinn posted were in color I might have more to say, although I expect most suitcases were tan. My Dad had a case very much like the middle one of the three behind the car in the photo - same kind of clasps as near as I can tell, and the (decorative?) straps on the sides ring a bell. It may still exist in the family. They also purchased new Champions in '48 or '49 and '54, so the opportunity was there. But I doubt strongly that they would have popped for the luggage - he wouldn't even get a radio or some other "extravagances" (ever try to stop a '64 Chrysler without power brakes? It took both feet on that wide pedal).
                    Jim K.
                    63 Hawk

Comment

Best of luck to you, been looking for sometime for my 51 LC with no luck.
                      1947 Studebaker M-5
                      1946 Studebaker M-5
                      1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                      1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                      1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Maybe this is a piece of Studebaker luggage. LOL

Comment

Makes you wonder if there was a kid, of a Studebaker corporate purchasing manager, who's first job was selling luggage? One day, after pounding pavement with little results, had a great idea....

Wonder if they ever sold enough to cover the costs of advertising?
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            One of the accessories for the 1950 Studebakers was a set of luggage. How many years did Studebaker sell luggage as an accessory, and how can I know this luggage is the right stuff if I was to see it somewhere? Thanks

This one appears to be close in resemblance to the smallest piece. I imagine Samsonite is the "famous manufacturer." All of the car brands in the early 50's seem to lean on several manufacturers for there accessories. The Kleenex dispensers that go into the 47 through 52 series are the exact same (minus logo) as the ones that were offered as a "genuine accessory" on GMC, Hudson, Buick....etc. In fact there is a GMC repo going for several times more dollars that an authentic original Studebaker on feebay....only thing different is the logo. I believe the glare-proof mirror was also the same way, as well as the trico glass jar windshield washer kit. The "No-Mar" gas guard was manufactured by a different company and then re-packaged as a Studebaker item. Locking gas cap was made by atlas. Your best bet would be to look around from time to time, match the dimensions and get them as close to looking the same as possible.
                            1947 Studebaker M-5
                            1946 Studebaker M-5
                            1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                            1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                            1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

I spent a few hours looking at ebay suitcases the past two days. I passed over any Samsonite, as the latches were a dead givaway as not being like the Studebaker accessory. I did see a pair of nice suitcases last summer that might have been correct, and now I wish I'd have bought them. Maybe they will show up again.

Comment

Working...
                              X