Quick Fix for Rusty Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Fix for Rusty Chrome

Chrome plating is a line of sight process and doesn't plate well to the backside of bumper guards. Today it got above zero, so I removed my left front bumper guard on my 50 Champion. It had a light coat of rust on the backside, and only took a minute in my blast cabinet to remove the rust. I taped over the front side to protect the nice new chrome. After blasting and wiping it clean I gave it a coat of Rustoleum chrome paint. Ford did a similar thing to the backs of the Model A bumper ends, where the chrome didn't plate, but most shops today just leave it bare and it will soon rust.Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion Bumper Guard 1950.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1746350

That's what I did years ago with my Champion's chrome. It looked a lot better that way.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I spent many $$$$$ on chrome plating on my 1957 Packard bumpers, essentially there are three bumpers. Front upper, front lower, and rear plus the two front "Dagmars" or guards.
      I will definitely do what you have done to your Studebaker, looks fantastic!
      Thanks for posting.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

After rechroming my bumpers I masked the new chrome off and applied two coats of POR 15 on the back side.
        This eliminates the rust issue, and gives a nice contrast to the chrome........This also stops any potential chrome peeling on the edges.

Comment

Chasis Saver is as good or better [in my opinion] than POR 15, and is available in silver.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Looks good. Nice work.

Comment

Chrome can be applied to recessed areas, but a conductor must be placed inside, after all oxidation is removed. Most customers do not want to pay for the extra labor on something that does not show, so a good coating is an excellent option.

Comment

Decades ago, for each bumper or bumper part that I had show chromed, I would paint the back surfaces with Rustoleum aluminum. I think that it looked proper and the surfaces did not rust. I do not believe that they made Rustoleum chrome back then.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X