PDA

View Full Version : Not just any barn find!

johnstonboys
02-21-2015, 07:11 AM
This 1932 Rockne rumble seat coupe was parked in the garage of my Gramp's best friend, Harold. Parked in 1952, and not registered since, (note the 1952 plate and inspection sticker), It was there in my earliest memories. In the sixties I played in the Rockne while it sat in this garage. Actually, it was more like I was told to "quit messing around in that car!" It is as 100% stock today as it was when parked it 62 years ago. It has weathered the storage well. No rust holes, just some great natural patina and a few mouse condos.
Harold's daughter Darlene has enstrusted me to be the next caretaker, and I was happy to bring it home today. I hope to get it back on he road by summer where it truly belongs, I am so grateful to Darlene for this opportunity.
Thanks
Alan

https://www.facebook.com/alan.johnston.9210/posts/10206022747998609?comment_id=10206024992494720&notif_t=feed_comment

t1003nl
02-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Wow Alan,you've got a great car there! It must be even more special since you already have some history with it. Also, welcome to the forum. You'll find it is a great resource. You'll want to connect with the Antique Studebaker Club and the Studebaker Drivers Club as well. Keep posted with pictures and updates as you get it going!

2moredoors
02-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Good luck with your "care-taking", it is certainly a great find.

56H-Y6
02-21-2015, 07:37 AM
Hi Alan

Good for you! Realizing how scarce and unique this Rockne is in its original, preserved state is the prefect start to becoming the careful conservator of this rarity. Appreciation of preserved, original cars have finally come into their own. AACA has the HPOF class specifically for them (Historic Preservation of Original Features). Congratulations and keep us apprised of your efforts in its conservation.

STeve

Flashback
02-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Get it running, driving and stoppin', and that's it. LOL

JRoberts
02-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Fantastic! I'm with Flashback...leave it like it is...get it safely on the road and drive it. Like others have said, keep us up to date on you and the car.

57pack
02-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Congratulations Alan! And welcome to the world of Studebaker-Rockne-Erskine-Packard-EMF-Flanders!
What a fantastic car you have aquired! Get her in running and stopping condition and enjoy a car show or two with her!
Please join the SDC and ASC, great resources for information and advice plus for searching for parts.

TWChamp
02-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Very nice survivor. Lube all the moving parts and enjoy. Be careful with removing all that mouse crap, as it can be deadly. Wear a good mask.

Warren Webb
02-21-2015, 10:16 AM
My best wishes go out to you & Darlene. I'm glad she recognized your love for the car & wasn't overwhelmed with greed as is so often the case. The Rockne wont be the only beneficiary.

hausdok
02-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Congratulations,

That's one great catch.

You're one lucky duck!

rockne10
02-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Welcome Alan and CONGRATULATIONS !:woot:
I concur with recommendations to do nothing initially except repair and make safe and functional all mechanical, and electrical systems; FIRST, specifically the brakes.
I found my '33 Model 10 sedan a quarter century ago, stored in a garage since 1958. Your coupe is a jewel!
The Service Specifications and Adjustments manual for your Model 65 has been reproduced and is often available on auction sites and antique literature dealers. I HIGHLY recommend you obtain a copy! It's only 94 pages but an essential resource.
Larry Tholen has maintained a Rockne Registry for the past decade and has found 224 relatively complete Rocknes in the world so far. Yours will make 225! :!:
Find your Serial No. tag on the frame rail under the left front fender, body tag on the cowl under the left hood and the engine number stamped in the center of the block just under the left side head.

BobPalma
02-21-2015, 12:25 PM
:!!: What a gorgeous car, Alan; congratulations. Agreed with the consensus: Get it running and driving and leave it alone as to appearance, save ordinary clean-up and the necessity of removing the mouse condo remains for personal safety and health reasons.

I would think this would be an excellent candidate for a Driveable Dream feature item in Hemmings Classic Car. 'Probably not in the near future, however, due to having had that similar 1937 President Coupe in the March 2015 edition. But tickle me in a year or so and I'll drop a note of recommendation and see if it does any good.

Again, all the best. It is an honor to be assigned Caretaker Status for such a nice piece of history. :!: :) BP

sals54
02-21-2015, 12:47 PM
If beauty would have been the primary factor in sales numbers, the 32 Rockne should have out sold the Ford 10 to 1 . What a gorgeous car. Great find and good luck with the build.

Studebaker Wheel
02-21-2015, 12:47 PM
ST2DES; The photo you posted is a 32 Rockne but it is the model 75 and not the 65 like the barn find car. The two cars are totally different cars.

johnstonboys
02-21-2015, 09:01 PM
I evicted a bunch of mice today. While the interior was out I looked pretty hard inside and out.... no rust! Motor spins over so maybe some more cleaning and wiring to try firing it tomorrow.

I ordered my Service Specifications and Adjustments

Colgate Studebaker
02-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Congrats Alan, I agree with the others to keep it on the road and enjoy it. Joining the ASC and SDC will really be a huge help to you, along with using this forum. Please keep us up to date on your progress, and give our thanks to Darlene. Bill

JoeHall
02-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Congrats,
You are a lucky guy! Please keep us up to date as you gently massage and wake this beautiful car from its long slumber :)
Joe H

Lothar
02-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Please, please change motor oil, flush radiator, etc. before you try "wiring to try firing it." You really have a very special car. Take it slow. Do no harm. Best of luck!

rockne10
02-21-2015, 10:05 PM
If you can find copies of The Antique Studebaker Review magazine of the Antique Studebaker Club, Volume 3, No 4, Nov-Dec, 1973 and Volume 14, No 6. March-April, 1985, you will know more about the Rockne Automobile development and history than just about any one else on the planet.
PM me if you would like inkjet copies of those.

rockne10
02-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Goes without saying, any vehicle sitting for a while will need more than simple maintenance.
Here's a recommended article from the SDC web site tech tips page.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

Play Wagon
02-21-2015, 11:57 PM
In my estimation, this vehicle is yet another example of how 1932 really was a stellar year for cohesive, inspired and well-balanced automotive design. Enjoy...

JSC

Paul K.
02-22-2015, 12:07 AM
Just curious, why was the car parked and not driven since '52?

sals54
02-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Could have been any number of reasons. I remember a couple seasons ago on "Fast N Loud", they had a 1919 Nash (?), that was not running. Tom pulled the cap off the distributor and found the tip of rotor contact had broken off. He replaced it, and the car started and ran. Go figure.

showbizkid
02-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Truly spectacular! I saw your post on the FB group as well... glad to know they're still out there! And glad that this one fell into the right hands :)

clonelark
02-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Many people figure it's just an old car and they want a newer one. you know the Sheeple.

14x7
02-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Buy a alternator for the car! I just read that fifth avenue auto parts sells them , that proven reliable in a number of applications ,including the great American Race. Alternator has a output of 60 amps (7.5 volts) which is 60 %greater than original equipment style generator systems. Owners of this new alternator 6volt , report easier starting, brighter headlights ,and the end of dead batteries. The alternator has a solid state regulator built inside. I plan on putting one on this summer. It's your car do what you want to it . I've bought three batteries ,in the six years ,I have owned my car.

rockne10
02-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Michael,
If it's worked fine for 83 years with a generator, why?:o

jclary
02-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Great car! Thanks for sharing it with us. You give the rest of us "dreamers" hope.:!: If I was closer, you'd probably have to evict me along with the mice.:mad:

Now that I'm seventy, I could probably be content sitting in the driver's seat, the same way I did in my brother's model A when I was twelve!:)

COMMANDERPINK1
02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Please, please change motor oil, flush radiator, etc. before you try "wiring to try firing it." You really have a very special car. Take it slow. Do no harm. Best of luck!

Be sure to use the proper oil and not the modern day oils without the proper zinc content
Tom

TWChamp
02-22-2015, 09:31 PM
I've been a mechanic all my working life and never understood why people want to install an alternator when generators have always worked great, and I consider them less trouble than alternators. Also, the generator fits right and looks right, while an alternator on an antique car really stands out as not belonging.

14x7
02-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Keep the battery charged up. I'm just under the impression that you need to keep the speed up on the car to charge the battery. Interesting that they ran with the generator. Amazing car!

RadioRoy
02-22-2015, 10:14 PM
What an incredible find. And you've known the car all your life!

Please resist the flood of advice telling you to hot rod it. You will get inundated with that at almost every car show, and every time you stop for gas.

There was a guy here that had a 32 Plymouth coupe in similar condition a few years ago. Everybody was twisting his arm to modify it and he was having a tough time resisting.

It's only original once.

That's just my opinion, but I'm sticking by it. :)

t walgamuth
02-23-2015, 06:01 AM
Lovely lines on that car. Great find!

johnstonboys
03-01-2015, 09:31 PM
The Rockne lives again!
I am not sure how to post videos here, but here is a link to prove it...

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5B5B540F21C09D8B&id=5B5B540F21C09D8B%211633&v=3

63avanti.
03-01-2015, 09:48 PM
That's awesome! Great job!

Studedude
03-01-2015, 10:00 PM
The Rockne lives again!
Excellent progress, excellent video!!

Well done, congrats, and thanks for sharing!!

Hallabutt
03-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Alan,

Wonderful car! Too cold to get a volunteer to ride in the rumble seat?-Bill

t walgamuth
03-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Great progress!

warrlaw1
03-02-2015, 09:27 AM
What a hoot! Great find, and a great attitude. Makes me smile.

johnstonboys
03-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Haha. No takers on the rumble seat. maybe they will try it once the snow melts!

tim333
03-02-2015, 12:11 PM
So what all did you do to get it rrunning?

JRoberts
03-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Fantastic that the Rockne is up and running. I really love this story.....:!!:

johnstonboys
03-02-2015, 04:34 PM
I didn't have to do much more than a tune up to get it running...I found new plugs, wires, coil and rotor at Napa. I cleaned the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump with a 38 ford diaphragm and loosened a bunch of parts with WD. The flush of the gas tank is next, I am not looking forward to making my garage smell like old varnished gas!!

rockne10
03-02-2015, 07:11 PM
...I found new plugs, wires, coil and rotor at Napa.
Alan,
Is that coil the in-dash with integrated ignition switch?

johnstonboys
03-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Brad,
No I just used a standard 6volt coil and bypassed the igniton. I need to get the dash one to a locksmith to make a key. Not sure if it will be good or bad. I also installed a cutout switch on the Startix. more research need for that too.
Thanks
Alan

rockne10
03-02-2015, 08:39 PM
I also installed a cutout switch on the Startix. more research need for that too.
Thanks
Alan
I could not get the vacuum switch on my manifold to function properly, though the Startix itself is fine. I simply installed a contact switch under the dash to power the Startix. My ignition switch/coil still functions with the original key. Your replacement blank will quite probably be a National or Jeco Y-12.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/P8140060.jpg
http://s57.photobucket.com/user/rockne10/slideshow/Rockne?sort=2
If you need info on the maintenance and operation of the Startix, let me know. Great article from one of the first "Skinned Knuckles" issues.

53starliner
03-02-2015, 10:39 PM
There is another Rockne in NH. You may want to contact him; Richard Hall in Laconia. He has a beautiful "32 Model 65. I think his # is 465-7643

Studebaker Ron
03-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Wonderful find my friend!!!! I picked up a 1950 Champion over the holidays and this forum have been a very valuable source of information..... I think you will find it to be the same. I would pull the drive train and just rebuild it. I just opened up my 170 flat head tonight and I can tell you that oil quality has come a long way in 65 years....I am sure more so in 83 years. When you get a chance look at the photo I just posted and see for yourself.

johnstonboys
03-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks Brad. I will take this to the locksmith. Ill let you know if I decide to fix the Startix.
Thanks
Alan

johnstonboys
03-03-2015, 05:13 PM
There is another Rockne in NH. You may want to contact him; Richard Hall in Laconia. He has a beautiful "32 Model 65. I think his # is 465-7643
Thanks Fred. Ill look him up
Alan

johnstonboys
03-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Wonderful find my friend!!!! I picked up a 1950 Champion over the holidays and this forum have been a very valuable source of information..... I think you will find it to be the same. I would pull the drive train and just rebuild it. I just opened up my 170 flat head tonight and I can tell you that oil quality has come a long way in 65 years....I am sure more so in 83 years. When you get a chance look at the photo I just posted and see for yourself.

Thanks Ron,
I love the bullet nose Studes. I can find your picture tho.
Alan

rockne10
03-04-2015, 01:58 AM
That engine sounds great, Alan! I see no reason to take it apart unless you find an issue.

johnstonboys
03-05-2015, 09:01 PM
That engine sounds great, Alan! I see no reason to take it apart unless you find an issue.

Thanks Brad.

I am hoping to just keep the changes to a minimum and run the engine/Trans. I am thinking about new big and little tires on the original wires and a new exhaust w/o muffler to hop it up a bit :)

BRUCESTUDE
03-05-2015, 09:48 PM
EXCELLENT! Thanks for sharing the video-even the dog likes the Rockne!

rockne10
03-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Thanks Brad.

I am hoping to just keep the changes to a minimum and run the engine/Trans. I am thinking about new big and little tires on the original wires and a new exhaust w/o muffler to hop it up a bit :)Please, Alan! Just keep it totally stock until you have lived with it a bit. They are original only once and we have found only 240 Rocknes worldwide that can be considered near complete. Any change can always be made once you have lost sight of how special what you have already is. You will never return it to that. Just saying, your car, your choice; spend contemplative time to choose wisely. Would I be upset if you changed something, had it out driving in the public and folks asking what a Rockne is? Heck no! If they have wheels they were built to be driven!

TWChamp
03-06-2015, 07:13 AM
I agree to keep it all original. I'd just dust it off, lube all the moving parts, and drive it.

johnstonboys
03-19-2015, 09:24 PM
I thought i would give an update:
The Rockne is now running driving and stopping. It starts great just using the key. Not bad considering it rested for 63 years!!

So far i have cleaned, rebuilt or lubed... Carb, starter, fuel pump, brake cables, wheel bearings, brake rods, switches, cables, startix connectors. New parts were cap, rotor, wires, plugs, battery cables. The interior is all back together with new cardboard behind the original material. I left all the mouse houses out though!, seats are temporarily covered with homemade wool blanket seat covers. I have the fuel tank getting boiled out at the radiator shop. I took at least a gallon of rust, dirt, varnish out of it after draining the old gas. then sent it over to them for cleaning. Next I need to get the old seals off the rear axle and source a newer set.

The new tires came in today and will get put on along with a new exhaust while we are at Viva Las Vegas 18.

I am so looking forward to driving it around this summer.
Thanks
Alan

Peanut
03-20-2015, 03:14 AM
I'm following your posts on the HAMB as well. Keep up the great work you're doing!

johnstonboys
03-29-2015, 09:35 PM
1932 Rockne Coupe.
Running fine. Charging, starts, stops, all the good stuff now.
Headed for its new exhaust and tires tomorrow. I went with blackwalls to keep the originality going.

When we get back from Viva 18 it will only need its gas tank re-installed. Then i will just be waiting for the salt to wash off the roads.

johnstonboys
04-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Got the Rockne back last weekend. The new exhaust sounds great and the new tires look good too. The only problem is that it overheats after about 5 miles....so "Off with it's head!"
Any ideas on how to flush, suck or blow the two inches of sludge out of the block would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

mbstude
04-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Half a day with a water hose and various pieces of wire and pipe cleaners, scraping every nook and cranny of the water jackets.

What a cool car! And I love what you're doing with it.

t walgamuth
04-22-2015, 06:41 AM
It has very nice lines!

jclary
04-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Half a day with a water hose and various pieces of wire and pipe cleaners, scraping every nook and cranny of the water jackets.

What a cool car! And I love what you're doing with it.

Great suggestion in the above quote. Take your time. Study the engine and how it is built. I'm not sure of all the coolant and oil galley routing in this particular engine, but, on some, there are head bolts, and other (motor mount?) bolts that could enter into the openings for oil/water circulation passages. I'd caution you to make a special effort to keep water out of any oil passages, and try not to expose any bearings to contamination you are flushing.

I love your car and enjoy your posts as you work through reviving it. Opportunities to resurrect such a magnificent vintage machine are becoming more rare with each passing day.

Dougie
04-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Does the rear window roll down? That is an awesome car.

mnmfive
04-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Wow! Good luck with that. Keep us informed on how you're making out. Lucky guy!

rockne10
04-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Does the rear window roll down? That is an awesome car.Alan's initial photos confirm. As far as I know, all rumble seat coupes had roll down rear windows; otherwise, mother-in-law couldn't let you know when she was getting rained on. ;)

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41421&d=1424524132

62champ
04-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Alan's initial photos confirm. As far as I know, all rumble seat coupes had roll down rear windows; otherwise, mother-in-law couldn't let you know when she was getting rained on. ;)

Or that the heater needed to be put on the top setting...

rockne10
04-23-2015, 12:42 AM
Or that the heater needed to be put on the top setting...I suspect few paid the extra $26 for the Tropic Aire heater option. My '33 sedan is not so equipped; though all were "WIRED FOR RADIO"; meaning equipped with an antenna wire attached to the chicken wire in the roof. The Philco Transitone radio AC176 was an additional $59.50. At that time, half that price for a heater would be preferable.

johnstonboys
05-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Time for another update:
I took the Rockne to a local cruise night and got the best surprise.....
A trophy, my fist ever! I guess the guys liked the back story of how I own it after 50+years of chasing. That I only made it drive-able and left most of it the way it was when parked in 1952.

The overheating seems to be fixed. I ended up having the radiator boiled out and rebuilt the water pump along with cleaning out the water passages . There are not many of the mechanical parts that I haven't rebuilt.

Mark L
05-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Congratulations!

t walgamuth
05-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Congrats on the trophy! I am very happy that folks have gotten around to valuing originality.

TWChamp
05-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Congrats on the trophy! I am very happy that folks have gotten around to valuing originality.

I totally agree. It's so nice to see survivors of any make, and there sure aren't many left. A lot of cars were restored that were nice enough to be left original. And even worse, a lot of restored cars have been turned into hot rods. You see a lot of unfinished rod projects on ebay and craigslist. They got in over their heads, or run out of money or ambition.

t walgamuth
05-10-2015, 07:35 PM
I totally agree. It's so nice to see survivors of any make, and there sure aren't many left. A lot of cars were restored that were nice enough to be left original. And even worse, a lot of restored cars have been turned into hot rods. You see a lot of unfinished rod projects on ebay and craigslist. They got in over their heads, or run out of money or ambition.

Those danged hot rodders! (just kidding).

studefan41
05-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Hope to encounter your 'barn find' soon at a show! Thanks for sharing.

johnstonboys
05-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Hi All,
Question to the forum....
I am reading my Service specifications and adjustments. In the timing section it refers a manual ignition control on the dash. Mine does not have or i cant seem to find one.
What is the timing procedure if i dont have the manual adjustment? It stills runs what i would call warm on hot days with 4 people in it and cruising at 40mph. without the manual advance i would like to make sure the timing is accurate.

Thanks
Alan

t walgamuth
05-12-2015, 03:23 PM
It could have a later distributor installed (I know nothing of your specific car) with internal advance mechanism. Or if the lever is broken off and its not getting any advance, yes, it'd run warm and feel very lethargic in its performance.

rockne10
05-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Alan, are you referencing the Rockne Model 65 service and specs or the Model 75? The 65 does not have spark adjustment on the dash or steering wheel.

johnstonboys
05-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Alan, are you referencing the Rockne Model 65 service and specs or the Model 75? The 65 does not have spark adjustment on the dash or steering wheel.
Hi Brad.
The "Service Specifications and Adjustments" only says Model - 65 on the front but references the manual timing lever . Do you know what the timing procedure should be for a 65?
I am guessing the same as later Studebaker flatheads and may try to find that one. If someone has that please forward.

Thanks
Alan

johnstonboys
05-13-2015, 01:04 PM
What an impressive site i just found!!! They have tons of service manuals scanned in and indexed by page!
Just type the make and what you need. it will return all the pages of the different manuals your words are referenced on.

For example i picked Rockne and timing, it returned 17 different pages from different manuals........

http://restorecarsclassifieds.com/wiki/search.php?action=articles_simple&phrase=rockne+timing&search_kind=and

johnstonboys
06-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Time for another update. I drove my Rockne for over 3000 miles last year and enjoyed everyone of them! This year we had a little mishap with the fan pulley shearing the pin and hitting the radiator. The machinist next door repaired the water pump and I did a quick radiator repair. All this just in time to head down to Warwick this weekend for the nationals. The coupe does 55 comfortably on the highway with a little more to spare. Depending on the route it should be a little over 150 miles. We have put more on the old girl but not in city traffic. Hoping all goes well and I see some more Rocknes down there
Alan

t walgamuth
06-23-2016, 05:44 AM
Glad you are enjoying her!

Woo hoo!

StudeNewby
06-23-2016, 11:40 AM
So cool! Wish I were going to Warwick to see her! Thanks for keeping her original.

BILT4ME
06-23-2016, 02:49 PM
That is really incredible with all that you have done and be able to drive it as much as you do!

Congratulations! I wish I could be there to see it in person!

rockne10
06-23-2016, 06:23 PM
We had four Rocknes at Lancaster. I won't make it to Warwick but, we really should try to come up with an attendance record at some point.

http://s57.photobucket.com/user/rockne10/library/Rocknes%20at%2044th%20%20SDC%20Lancaster?sort=2&page=1

Joan O'Dell's is not in this picture, and has since been sold.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rocknes%20at%2044th%20%20SDC%20Lancaster/Rockne-Lancaster11.jpg

johnstonboys
06-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Thats cool four in Lancaster, I hope some other Rocknes will be in RI. The other 32 3-window in NH that belongs to Richard Hall isnt going to make it either.