Original Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Restoration

Hi, I have a 1948 Studebaker M5 pickup. I would like to restore it because that is what it needs; however, I mainly want to preserve its originality. Should I restore this with a new paint job and everything else or would it be okay to keep it original only doing the work that is needed like body work.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bed 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1746342 Click image for larger version

Name:	almost out of woods 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1746341Click image for larger version

Name:	in woods 3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1746343Click image for larger version

Name:	distributor 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1746344
    Attached Files

If the Body were in better shape than it is, it sometimes is a good idea to just do the Mechanicals that do not show and would still look correct anyway, after being cleaned and rebuilt as original.

But I never heard of anyone doing the reverse. You would not be able to drive it with worn out suspension, Brakes and Steering.
    And without refreshing the Power Train it would not be dependable.

Most restorers work from the Frame up, not from the Body Down, unless it is to be a non-driving Museum Display or Yard Art.

Remember that no one will know or care if it has the Wheel Bearings, Suspension Bushings etc. that it had when it came out of the Factory, but they WILL see the nice fresh Original Color Paint and straight body lines.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Some people like to keep the patina of a well-worn vehicle, and even put a coat of clear coat over dents and surface rust. That is certainly an option if the body is fundamentally sound. But the mechanicals must be restored in order to make the vehicle driveable and safe.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
      X