Ballast Resister ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballast Resister ???

I have what some may think is a dumb question - What exactly does the ballast resistor do [?]
    I am getting ready to install a new Mallory Unilite distributer and a new Tachometer in the 56 Power Hawk. Do I still need the ballast resistor [?] Any sugestions [?]

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    51 Champion
    Phil
    Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
    60 Lark
    56 Power Hawk
    Phil Hendrickson
    Arnold, Missouri

Depents largely on the coil you are using, some run on 12 volts, some need the resistor to drop it to 8 volts.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    54 Starlight
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I also have a new 40,000 volt coil which I will be installing with the new distributer it runs on 12 volts

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      51 Champion
      Phil
      Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      56 Power Hawk
      Phil Hendrickson
      Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Then you don't need a resistor with that coil.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54,758.75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        54 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The ballast resistor is just a voltage reducer.
          Most points will turn blue, overheat, and burn up if a full 12 volts is continuously applied to them.
          The primary ignition system (12v) is designed to run at 7 to 7.5 volts during normal operation.
          But to enhance starting up, a full 12 volts is applied only when the engine is being cranked, under the theory that the starter motor itself will reduce the system voltage during cranking.
          That way the points see about the same voltage most of the time.
          If you are running points with a capacitive discharge system, the CD system handles the higher voltages, and the points are merely the low voltage signal switch, so a full 12v should go to the CD system.
          The coil is the coil,and unless it has the resistor built into it (which it might...read the label), then a ballast resistor is used.
          If you are running an electronic distributor (Mallory), then the coil should have a ballast resistor. Your instruction book should tell you.
          If you didn't get one, then go to:

Hope the info helps...
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 60Lark

I have what some may think is a dumb question - What exactly does the ballast resistor do [?]
          I am getting ready to install a new Mallory Unilite distributer and a new Tachometer in the 56 Power Hawk. Do I still need the ballast resistor [?] Any sugestions [?]
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

John and Jeff, Yes that helps, I did not think the resistor was still necessary with the new ignition/distributer and new coil, but was not sure. Thanks

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            51 Champion
            Phil
            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Ouch...
              According to Mallory, you need a ballast resistor.

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jjones

I have a T-bow/Mallory Unalite system on my 259. I initially ran the #29219 Mallory coil with no resister as recommended by Mallory (through a local speed shop). I burned up two units before going to a 45K coil (Accel #ACC-8140C) and ballest resister. I have had no problems since.
              Jeff J
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have a T-bow/Mallory Unalite system on my 259. I initially ran the #29219 Mallory coil with no resister as recommended by Mallory (through a local speed shop). I burned up two units before going to a 45K coil (Accel #ACC-8140C) and ballest resister. I have had no problems since.

Jeff J

Comment

I got the mallory distributor/coil from TBo and did not run a ballast resistor. I was informed not to. The coil he sells does not need one. I beleive that it is in the coil. All I was told is do not mount the coil upside down or it could explode.

Comment

Thanks Jeff R. Printed your Unalite dist. blurb and took it to my local speed shop to ***** a bit (couldn't ***** too much as they warrantied the last unit, as they should given the amount of money I have spent there over the last 40 years). Turns out the Mallory 29219 coil has a built in ballest resister and is recommended for use on the Unalite distributer without an external resister. They showed me the Mallory poop sheet. Checked the primary resistance on the Mallory coil--4.9 ohms when it should be 1.4. That ain't good. Looks like the coil itself was the problem, not the lack of a ballast resister. In any case, I am going to stick with the Accel coil with an external ballast resister but bkz81, I am sure if T-Bow says your coil doesn't need an external resister, it doesn't.

Jeff J

Comment

Working...
                    X