Reminiscing about George Parrish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminiscing about George Parrish

Last evening we had the distinct pleasure of meeting NASCAR legend George Parrish and his lovely wife of 67 years at the Living Legends of Auto Racing banquet in Daytona Beach.

George competed in his 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk and I am pleased to have a signed photo of him qualifying for the 1957 Southern 500 at Darlington in his Golden Hawk. George is from North Carolina and was a Studebaker dealer. After all these years he's still a died-in-the-wool Studebaker fan. He told me he'd love to acquire a Studebaker again. Anyone want to give him one?

We were guests of SDC member Bob Coolidge, who is also President of The Living Legends of Auto Racing Museum in Daytona Beach Shores. The banquet was MCd by Chocolate Myers and his wife Caron...a most entertaining couple, truly NASCAR icons in their own right.

Stu Chapman

Stu: Thank you. Delighted to have you and Thelma as well as George and Alva with us last evening. I will have the photos of you and George for distribution shortly. Looking forward to a warm 500 on Sunday.
    sigpicBob Coolidge
    DeLand, FL

Comment

Here's some info:

and....

(copy)
      Studebaker monday continues.
      NASCAR had quite a few but they were before my day . Here George Parrish runs 9th at Richmond in his Stude . I wonder if that chair was for the starter to sit on during the race ?

1957 Darlington 500 George Parrish crashes with Bobby Myers (not in pic) Myers died from his injuries and Parrish decides to retire .
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

George Parrish played no role in the Bobby Myers, Paul Goldsmith, and Fonty Flock crash which was fatal to Myers, other than he was a starter in the field of race cars in that Darlington event. The photos shown in this thread which I purchased from the NASCAR Archives show George in his 1956 Golden Hawk, his qualifying effort to make the starting field, and his single car spin. George entered a few more NASCAR races following the 1957 Southern 500 at Darlington then retired. The 1958 NASCAR season began in the fall of 1957 so he is credited with racing in that season.
        sigpicBob Coolidge
        DeLand, FL

Comment

Good info.
          That is why the link is provided, and the '(copy)' is added.
          This way the reader knows the info came from a different source and is not just repeated (even with errors).
          This also is an opportunity for those with the correct info to go back to that source and get the info updated or corrected.
          Lest that scenario gets repeated again..

Originally posted by trnstrtrk View Post
          George Parrish played no role in the Bobby Myers, Paul Goldsmith, and Fonty Flock crash which was fatal to Myers, other than he was a starter in the field of race cars in that Darlington event. The photos shown in this thread which I purchased from the NASCAR Archives show George in his 1956 Golden Hawk, his qualifying effort to make the starting field, and his single car spin. George entered a few more NASCAR races following the 1957 Southern 500 at Darlington then retired. The 1958 NASCAR season began in the fall of 1957 so he is credited with racing in that season.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
          X