1950 Champion Bild Sheet Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion Bild Sheet Questions

I received my build sheet today for my 1950 Champion 2Door (F3). The body, engine, and serial numbers all match, but I have questions about the accessories, and codes.
    1. What does 4 AR mean under HOW TO SHIP?
    2. What does 7594 OG MO-1 mean under TRIM NO.?
    3. What Does REIN. SPRINGS mean?
    4. My car has the hill holder, as does almost every Studebaker made, but there is nothing in that box.
    5. Why is nothing in the AXLE RATIO box? Click image for larger version

Name:	Build Sheet 1950 Champion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1746335
    6. FOAM RUBBER CUSHION box has FR. I'd guess that means the seats had foam rubber both front and rear?
    7. The CLIMATIZER box is empty, but my car has a heater and defroster, as I'd guess any Studebaker shipped to Minneapolis would.
    8. DISCS and RINGS boxes have AC in them. Is this wheel discs and beauty rings? And what does AC mean?
    9. I wonder why there is no CLOCK or CIGARETTE LIGHTER boxes?
    10. What does LIGHT mean in the upper left after MINNEAPOLIS?

Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by TWChamp; 12-18-2016, 05:56 PM.

The Hill Holder, Climatizer, as well as the clock and cigar lighter could have been dealer installed. And you are correct on the 'disc' and 'rings'. 'AC' is the prefix for the Accessory number. Your AC-1881 is a perfect example.

Craig

Comment

There was more than one Studebaker dealer in Minneapolis. The "Light" refers to Randolph Light Inc. The How to ship "AR" refers to ARCO one of many trucking companies that operated out of South Bend. I might add that the originals from which the p.o.'s are made are on microfilm and the info is manually transferred to the new form. Mistakes are known to happen in the transferring.
      Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 02-18-2015, 06:27 PM.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

"3. What Does REIN. SPRINGS mean?"

This tells me "Reinforced" Front and Rear Seat Cushion Springs as used on Taxi, and Police Cars. The buyer could have been a heavy person, or long distance driving was anticipated needing the comfort.

I have no reference for that, it just makes sense to me.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey Tom
          Good to hear you have your original engine . My car shipped on 5/17/50 shortly after yours and has the original engine as well. My body number is 28770 (yours 25654)and engine number is 688733 (yours 663109).....very close. I do know your trim is standard gray mohair 7594-OG MO-1.....same as mine as I called thm on this one. If you have any questions they are very friendly and glad to be of help.

Ron

Comment

It would be nice if the museum would work up a code sheet to send out with these production orders to explain this type of information.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
              It would be nice if the museum would work up a code sheet to send out with these production orders to explain this type of information.
              I agree. For $48 for a sheet of paper that left me with more questions than it answered, it should have all the codes listed.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                "3. What Does REIN. SPRINGS mean?"

This tells me "Reinforced" Front and Rear Seat Cushion Springs as used on Taxi, and Police Cars. The buyer could have been a heavy person, or long distance driving was anticipated needing the comfort.

I have no reference for that, it just makes sense to me.
                I was thinking the same thing because I knew extra springs could be ordered for the seats. I'll have to take a picture of my seat springs and compare them to others in the junk yard.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  I agree. For $48 for a sheet of paper that left me with more questions than it answered, it should have all the codes listed.
                  Five important points you may wish to consider: 1.) The production orders belong to Geoff Newman and not the museum. He allows the museum to sell copies but receives a major cut of the fee. 2.) The pre 1960 p.o.'s are on microfilm. There are hundreds of reels going back to '36 (pre 1938 Presidents only). The appropriate microfilm reel must be accessed, threaded on the machine and searched and once located the information is hand copied then sent to a 2nd person who types up the p.o. on a hard copy. Easily a half hour project and probably more. 3.) The production orders changed each year for cars and every few years for trucks. In order to include a paper with explanation of each item on the p.o. would require a considerable amount of time and a different explanation sheet would be required for all the many years. 4.) This is a service not available for most any other car club. Oh the thousands of non Studebaker antique car owners who would love to have a service like this for most any price! 5.) Having a production order for your Studebaker is a matter of choice. If the price seems exorbitant then best advice would to decline the opportunity.

I might add that by accessing this forum you have had all your questions about the p.o. answered and more and it was not a difficult task at all. In fact I think your $48.00 was probably a very wise investment.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Mr. Quinn,

With microfilm having a shelf-life, has there been any discussions about digitizing all that information? Especially considering once the film is done - all the information is gone...

I am sure there are some local institutions of higher learning that have preservation classes where students are in need of some "lab time"...

Comment

My car was shipped on 5/17/1950 to "1 Charlotte, NC" Did Charlotte only have one Studebaker dealership in 1950?

Thanks
                      Ron

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                        Mr. Quinn,

With microfilm having a shelf-life, has there been any discussions about digitizing all that information? Especially considering once the film is done - all the information is gone...

I am sure there are some local institutions of higher learning that have preservation classes where students are in need of some "lab time"...
                        From what I understand digitizing, in any electronic format, will have a shorter life than the microfilm. Certainly much, much shorter that even cheap paper! There is a lot of things in this world that are going to be lost because people too often, shortsightedly, think it's cool to mindlessly jump on the latest technology and destroy the original paper. I have a book that is 300 plus years old. Still readable!

Comment

Working...
                        X