Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever seen a Stude V8 with safety wired main bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Ever seen a Stude V8 with safety wired main bolts?

Yesterday, I pulled down a typically greasy '50s 259" V8. It had been rebuilt once, because it had .030" over pistons.

However, the unique thing was all ten of the the main cap bolts had been drilled for safety wire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1746331

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1746332

Name:	PICT0005.JPG
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1746333

The wire used was very soft, so it's unknowable if it would really have stopped a main bearing cap screw trying to unwind.

There were no heavy duty parts anywhere else inside. In fact, the crank was still STD, so not quite sure WIGO with the necessity of the rebore and the safety wire. Wonder why, on an otherwise stock truck build, someone went to that trouble? I know I've never had a main bolt come loose.

jack vines
    PackardV8

That term should be "loosley" considered safety wired in that particular context..!
    Interesting in any case.

Mike

Comment

definitely had those wires on my 41 Commander Big 6......

Comment

I've seen the main bolts safety wired in the earlier V8 engines. The wire used wasn't safety wire, more like mechanics wire and the wire was not installed correctly to be of any use. Bud

Comment

Yep, have one out in the shop now with safety wire on mains.

Comment

Any chance they wired them for heavy duty use at the factory? You'd have to have the motor out to do it right?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I have a set of main cap bolts that are drilled as well. However they were not tied when i took the engine apart.

My amazement from your pictures, is the pal nuts are missing on the rod cap bolts!

For a HD engine, I would have thought that would be a No No..

Comment

I don't think I had ever seen safety wire until I got to Air Force Tech school in 1965. Up to that time, I had never had possession of my own set of tools. Of all the tools issued to me, the neat set of safety wire pliers was one of my favorites. Our equipment used safety wire extensively, (if not excessive). Some, in my outfit, would leave the safety wire off, when doing repairs. I never did. I enjoyed using the safety wire pliers so much, I sometimes added it, just for fun. I still own and use a set of the pliers.

If you'll look, the two main rear C-Cab body to frame bolts, are (were) safety wired.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Since someone mentioned the safety wire showing up mainly on older V8s, I looked in a 3R Series Truck Shop Manual and there is a Fig.39 on Page 24 of the Engine section which shows the wires in place. However, the crankshaft installation directions on Pages 20-21 don't mention replacing the wires.

Anyone have a reference as to when this was discontinued?

jack vines

My amazement from your pictures, is the pal nuts are missing on the rod cap bolts!

For a HD engine, I would have thought that would be a No No..
                  This engine had zero heavy duty parts. As I mentioned, the block had been bored .030" and whomever did so left off the pal nuts. However, it does still have STD rod and main bearings. There was such a thing as an in-frame rebuild, so it's theoretically possible the boring could have been done with the crankshaft in place. Never seen it done on a V8, but coulda happened.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

All the 232's had 'safety wired' main caps I believe.

Comment

I have seen it on V8's also
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        All the 232's had 'safety wired' main caps I believe.
                        I dismantled a 232 a few years back but did not see any main bolts that were any different than the later V8's. I probably still have the bolts in with all the other hardware from other 259 and 289's so I would have noticed if they were different.

I have only had one car that had safety wire installed and that was a 1975 3.0L BMW, it was used extensively on the front suspension nuts and bolts. I don't know if it was stock or the previous owner installed it.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          I don't think I had ever seen safety wire until I got to Air Force Tech school in 1965. Up to that time, I had never had possession of my own set of tools. Of all the tools issued to me, the neat set of safety wire pliers was one of my favorites. Our equipment used safety wire extensively, (if not excessive). Some, in my outfit, would leave the safety wire off, when doing repairs. I never did. I enjoyed using the safety wire pliers so much, I sometimes added it, just for fun. I still own and use a set of the pliers.

If you'll look, the two main rear C-Cab body to frame bolts, are (were) safety wired.
                          John,
                          I can identify with your military experience re: safety wire, except mine was in the MC. In combat tanks (and most everything else), safety wire was used extensively, if not excessively, as you say. They too, have the neat "safety wire pliers" that twirl a nice pigtail for any length needed. (Makes the job in JV's pix here look shoddy.) I started out with M48 tanks and ended 30 years later with M1s, and safety wire was still used just as extensively on M1s as it was on M48s.

I forgot where but, not long ago, I saw a set of those safety wire pliers on sale, advertised as antique, and just had to chuckle
                          Last edited by JoeHall; 02-18-2015, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Harbor Freight sells those pliers, too. ($12.99)
                            They are not that uncommon.

Amazing deals on this 9 In. Safety Wire Pliers at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X