PDA

View Full Version : Was John Dillinger's last ride in a Studebaker?

Studebaker Wheel
02-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Is it possible that the nationís Public Enemy No 1 rode to his final reward in a Studebaker? Evidence suggests that. The photo below was taken in Maywood, Indiana on July 26, 1934 and shows a crowd of local citizens waiting for the body of the notorious outlaw and bank robber to be loaded into the hearse. The car in front is a 1931 Studebaker Dictator. The second vehicle is the hearse and though it cannot be ascertained for certain it looks like a Studebaker. It would make sense that the funeral home operator would have cars of the same make so very possible that the hearse is also a Studebaker. Wish I had purchased the original glossy photo when it was on Ebay a few years ago.

Commander Eddie
02-17-2015, 01:34 PM
I agree. The hearse does look like a Studebaker. Judging by the cowling and windshield.

70Avanti2
02-17-2015, 04:15 PM
You Tube has a Movie Tone news reel titled "Stock Footage - 1934 JOHN DILLINGER CAPTURE, ESCAPE, AND FUNERAL". Its 1.05 mins long. At the end is a real good shot of the hearse.

57pack
02-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Shame the large policeman is standing in front of the hearse.
Can't see shape of radiator grill. But, judging from what I and you see, it does look like a Studebaker.
Plus funeral home is in Indiana and they already have one Studebaker there.

Studebaker Wheel
02-17-2015, 05:05 PM
You Tube has a Movie Tone news reel titled "Stock Footage - 1934 JOHN DILLINGER CAPTURE, ESCAPE, AND FUNERAL". Its 1.05 mins long. At the end is a real good shot of the hearse.

Yes, I had already looked at that. However that is the funeral car that he left Chicago in and not the Indiana car that took him to the cemetery (i.e. shown in my photo)