Power Steering for 55 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering for 55 Commander

I want to change my 55 Commander over to Power Steering - What do I need and from what car or where can I get the Parts to do this - (PUMP-PULLEY'S- Belt- Steering Box ETC . ETc. - Thanks-Roy

The complete setup from a '53 to '57 Sedan or Wagon works if that is what you have, if it's a Coupe or Hardtop you need a '53 to '59 Hawk Saginaw in the Steering Gear Type System to make it like Factory.

Option 2 is to use the three part Bendix system with a Ram and Control Valve like a Ford, used on '58 to '66 Sedans, Wagons, Larks and Lark Types. Or '60 to '64 Hawks for C or K Model conversions.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

nk You Rich

Comment

On the '57 & later units, the shaft is too small to install the earlier steering wheels.
        I had a customer who installed a sedan unit on his coupe to make a little extra room for his belly a few years ago. Very little difference exists between the C/K & sedan units, but it is necessary to use the c/k frame mounting brkt. Using the later linkage type unit is a good option for retrofitting p/s to any Stude because it is easier to install in a car with the engine in place.

Comment

I have a complete conversion which came out of a 54 CK Commander. PM me if you are interested.
          ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

And those parts should probably include the center crank bolt and pulleys to the pump and its mounting bracket. The steering column floor seal is different between sedans and C/Ks, as is the steering box bracket to frame. I would try to get the entire assembly, from steering box bracket to horn button, just to be sure.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              And those parts should probably include the center crank bolt and pulleys to the pump and its mounting bracket. The steering column floor seal is different between sedans and C/Ks, as is the steering box bracket to frame. I would try to get the entire assembly, from steering box bracket to horn button, just to be sure.
              He will need the fan belt and the steering column /floor/ firewall seal. Both are readily available. U
              ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Working...
              X