Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1950 2R5 Connecting Rod Bearings P/N

Hello,
    I need to replace the connecting rod bearings in my 1950 2R5 pick-em-up truck. I ordered CB-583P from clevite and they clearly are not the correct bearings. grrrr

Could one of you fine SDC members provide me with the correct part number or even better, a link to the correct bearings?

Needless to say, it is very disappointing i wont be driving the ol gal this weekend and will have to wait longer as i wait for a new order to arrive.

Thanks
    -jes

520834 is what my Motor's flat rate manual shows for the part number on the Champion engine 1939 to 1952.

Comment

Check with Robert Kapteyn for the number and the parts.

Comment

The Clevite # for the Studebaker small 6 is CB-286P. I think the 583 is a ford app.
        American iron, real old school
        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Most Studebaker Vendors at: http://studebakervendors.com carry the Champion 6 Rod Bearings in Federal Mogul, which may be the only Mfg. left of fresh New Brgs. not NOS.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I have placed an order and the new set is on the way. I hope these work! It is much easier to just walk in NAPA like with newer trucks LOL
            -jes

Comment

Got the new bearings in and things are back to good. So far so good. But the guy I sold my 29 Ford to 10 years ago is selling it and asked if I wanted to buy it back before it goes to the open market... 10 years later! So, I am parting with my Studebaker... all the fun wrenching on this thing but to get my old Ford Pick up back is going to be cool... So, if anyone is looking I have posted my truck for sale.

Comment

Very nice patina on your truck, Jesse.

Two random thoughts.

AFAIK, Clevite long ago discontinued all their Studebaker part numbers.

I ordered CB-583P from clevite and they clearly are not the correct bearings. grrrr
                Not really important, but why did you order the CB-583P? A quick search would have shown they're for the small Ford 6-cyl. Just asking because if there's an incorrect reference out there somewhere, it should be fixed.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

You know Jack I remember Ford Falcons having a 170 Engine, maybe there are some out there that focus way TOO much on engine size.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Very nice patina on your truck, Jesse.

Two random thoughts.

AFAIK, Clevite long ago discontinued all their Studebaker part numbers.

Not really important, but why did you order the CB-583P? A quick search would have shown they're for the small Ford 6-cyl. Just asking because if there's an incorrect reference out there somewhere, it should be fixed.

jack vines

They were actually listed as "COMPATIBLE" on the ebay page i bought them from. Ebay search for "studebaker 2r5 connecting rod bearings" brought this up... we contacted, informed and sent back the others.

Comment

Can we ask which dimension was wrong on these Bearings?
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Can we ask which dimension was wrong on these Bearings?
                        I guess the length? When I put the bearing in the connecting rod bottom, it was about 1/4 inch too long and sticking out. It was obvious it was not the correct one.

Comment

OK, thanks, it was for a much larger diameter Rod Throw then.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X