Shifter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Shifter Problem

The shifter lever on my 1958 President with auto trans goes to the left past the "P" indicator dial. I replaced the bracket that sits directly below the steering wheel but that didn't help. I've also adjusted the shifter linkage. Any suggestions?

Ed

How are the motor mounts? If they are squashed or damaged, the whole engine/transmission may be moved from its original position.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hi Ed, make sure that the 1/2 Inch spacer is under the Left Rear Engine Mount and none on the Right.

Also if you can see the bottom of the front Engine Mount brackets and the crossmember where the Rear Engine Mounts bolt, look for the empty holes to the Left for RHD being visible, so you are sure it is bolted through the Right hand holes for LHD.

Usually you can adjust the travel farther toward the "R" and correct it, so since you have tried that something does seem to be wrong.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Make sure the shift lever grommets on the linkage and transmission are good. They are about 1" diameter with a steel sleeve in the middle.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X