doing chevy rear drum conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: doing chevy rear drum conversion

So I am starting a chevy 11" rear drum conversion so that I can use non studebaker wheels. I am at the point where I take the hub off the drum and I have tried everything short of taking it to the machine shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1746323

Any other advise on this conversion. Like what wheel studs I am going to need. I have done a lot of research and everyone using different ones.

I read this many times http://studebaker-info.org/tech/brak...champbrak.html
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Gm Drum conv.

Few days ago I was huntin drums for my Champ. Was told to buy drums for 78 Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive, 11x2 and Dorman #610-085 lug bolts. My flaps had a pair in stock as well as bolts. Took hub with a drum to machine shop to fit. $25.00 for machine work, 80.00 for drums, $20.00 for bolts. No more having to pull hubs off. My hubs had not been off for awhile. Never had this much trouble getting them off and I've pulled more than 2 in 40 plus years of Studin. Vern Ediger enlightened me when I called him for original drums. He's correct, it's simple and quick and cheaper than trying to find a useable pair of orginals.
    Hope this helps,
    Kim

Comment

Thank you Kim it does. I will call NAPA in the morning about the wheel studs.

As for the hub/drum....I found a press and will try it out in the morning and a local machine shop that said, .... "bring it on by! anything is possible in a place like this"

So hopeful this conversion doesnt turn out to be a pain
      Charles

Comment

All machine shop has to do is take a measurement of the drum at the center, chuck the hub in a lathe and remove material til hub matches drum center hole. Nutin to it, no more pullin hubs, for this Studebaker anyway.
        Kim

Comment

other than needing longer studs if your aftermarket wheels need them ..... is there any reason why new wheel studs are needed?

granted that the holes in the chevy drum need to be opened up to fit the shoulder on the studebaker studs
          Charles

Comment

You could use the old studs. Press um back into hub after machine work. I didn't use a shop press to get mine out. I used a redneck press, shop hammer. Don't have to do anything to drum. It mounts on the surface of the hub.

Comment

Doesn't Chevy use the 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern, rather than the Studebaker's 5 on 4-1/2?

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
                Doesn't Chevy use the 5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern, rather than the Studebaker's 5 on 4-1/2?
                Cars yes, but both Stude and GM/Chevy half-ton trucks use/have used 5 x 5" BP.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

AHA! I missed the Stude truck part.

Comment

Working...
                  X