Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you spot the Studebaker in this mural?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you spot the Studebaker in this mural?

Can anyone spot the Studebaker recently added to this mural?

Long story: The mural is on the south side of the NAPA Auto Parts store in Monroe, WA. It was painted by local artist David Hose about 10 years ago, and he's been working the past few months between raindrops to refresh it. A few months ago I needed to stop by the store for something, and as I came into the parking lot, I saw David touching up the mural. I've always enjoyed looking at it because he captured many small details of everyday life (woman walking a dog, kid in a coon-skin hat riding a bike, cat sitting on top a Coke vending machine, etc.).

I introduced myself and told him how much I've enjoyed the mural over the years. I went inside (through the side door in the middle of the mural), made my purchase, and got back in my van. As I was pulling away, I thought to ask him why there were no Studebakers in the mural, so I backed up and rolled down my window to ask. "Studebaker! My gosh, I had a friend who owned one years ago" he exclaimed. "Do you have one?" he asked me. I told him about the 51 Land Cruiser I am restoring, and then he asked, "Can I paint it into the mural? Send me some pictures of it." Wow.

I emailed him some photos of my unrestored car, and a photo of a restored Champion/Commander I found on the internet to give him an idea of what it will look like when finished.

He recently sent me a message to let me know he added my car as a detail to mural a few weeks ago. The weather was really nice today, so I stopped by to snap this picture. Can you see my car?

Those of you who are purists will note he captured the essence of the Champion/Commander I sent him. He even painted the front fender spears and the hood ornament, but since there's no vent window on the back door, it's not really a Land Cruiser.

I'm glad I backed up to ask him my question. Don't ever pass up an opportunity to talk about Studebaker. You never know what might happen.

Mark L

Click image for larger version

Name:	NAPA_mural_full-width.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1746320Click image for larger version

Name:	NAPA_mural_Studebaker_closeup_reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1746321
    Mark L

The very small blue car at the end of the street.

Comment

A great addition to the mural!

Comment

Good promotion job.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

I see what could be a Blue Stude. Truck way out in the field, but no '51 4 Door, except in the attachment.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cool! Good for you!
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I see what could be a Blue Stude. Truck way out in the field, but no '51 4 Door, except in the attachment.

Rich, it's just above the hood of the orange and white race car. But off in the distance, down the street.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Oh my gosh, it sure is! I wonder if people will go up to it with a Magnifying glass?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice artwork. It reminds me of a mural on a hardware store in Culver City, California. It's a depiction of Laurel & Hardy in overalls holding tools, and it's painted in monochromatic shades.
                  peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post

Rich, it's just above the hood of the orange and white race car. But off in the distance, down the street.
                    Hallelujah! Now I see it!
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

I talked to the artist the other day, and he said he was glad he painted it small and off in the distance. He was concerned about getting all the compound curves of the front end correct, and he didn't want to paint the car too big and get it wrong. A small Studebaker is better than none at all, and he was doing me (and us) a favor. I didn't want to put any conditions on him. I did get him to paint it so we could see the front and know it was a Studebaker. He was originally thinking about having it "driving away", but I convinced him it would be a lot easier to tell it was a Studebaker if it was driving toward the viewer.

I didn't measure it, but the actual size of the car is about 6 to 8 inches from bumper to bumper.

Mark L
                      Mark L

Comment

Very, very cool!

Comment

Working...
                        X