Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power assist on Left turn, none on Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power assist on Left turn, none on Right?

Hi Guys: The Hawk is up and running just fine, but I find that since I rebuilt the Control valve and replaced all of the hoses on my Bendix power steering I get assist on a Left turn just fine but apparently none on a Right turn. Could this be an adjustment issue or something else. I have driven the car a couple of times and topped off the fluid level in the pump. Don't know what else to try? Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

sounds to me like you don't have the valve adjusted right. Although most times it will try to turn the wheels with out any input if far enough out.

Comment

Thanks swvalcon, I suspect I may have tighten it too far down.
      Don Watson
      61 Hawk

Comment

The way I adjust this type valve on mustangs and corvettes is lift the front wheels off the ground, start the engine and center the wheels,then slowly turn the adjusting nut in until I see the wheel just try to move. Then back it back off counting the turns until it starts to move the other way. Now put it in the center of the amount of turns that you counted.

Comment

It may look like a Mustang or Corvette unit, but it is not. Probably the spring may be broken. Or the spacer inside the spring is missing. It HAS to be there, as it helps with the adjustment. To adjust you tighten all the way untill the spring tension stops against the spacer, then back off the nut 1 flat....less than 1/4 turn. Needless to say if the spacer is there, then you can't use this method to adjust.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez that's good to know I have to rebuild mine next month. I'am sure when I got it apart I would have though something here doesn't look right. Thought at one time I saw a post about using a mustang valve on a Stude. I've redone a few corvette valves. I don't really care for this kind of a system. I would much prefer a power steering sector. Had thought about trying a astro van but looks like a whole lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              Bez that's good to know I have to rebuild mine next month. I'am sure when I got it apart I would have though something here doesn't look right. Thought at one time I saw a post about using a mustang valve on a Stude. I've redone a few corvette valves. I don't really care for this kind of a system. I would much prefer a power steering sector. Had thought about trying a astro van but looks like a whole lot of work.
              Yeah the Astro van gear is reverse rotation, but that's about all it gives you. The sector shaft rides over the input when turned on its side, putting it too high for a V8 install without a lot of jury rigging of the steering shaft. I figured out a way to take a Gruman LLV postal van box, put in the reverse worm and have the sector orientation correct, but it wasn't worth the effort. After spending some time driving my 99 S10 Extreme, I soon found out it was just as vague as the Stude Bendix set up. I'm working on an adaptation of an electric power steering rack, gets rid of the P/S pump and gives me an easy spot to add A/C to my R2 Avanti. If there were a way to get rid of that first 1/8" of slop needed by the control valve to function the original would be fine.

Comment

EXCELLENT! Thanks Bez for the adjustment instructions, car steers like new. I don't think it has turned that easily since I got it. Thanks again.
                Don Watson
                61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X