Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packards (two) at Pick Your Part (Sun Valley, CA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packards (two) at Pick Your Part (Sun Valley, CA)

There are two Packard's at the Sun Valley Pick Your Part in Sun Valley, CA. http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locat...Sun_Valley-263 They are having their 50% off sale 2-14-15 through 2-16-15. The cars are rather complete, at least on the morning of 2-14-15. Surface rust, but a cursory look at them didn't show any significant rust through. The glass all looked good. Anyway, I'm not a Packard guy, but figured I'd make mention if anyone has interest. And, no, sorry, I can't go back for stuff. It is a 90 mile round trip for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Packard 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1746314Click image for larger version

Name:	Packard 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1746315
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

What a shame these beasts have come to this. I recall going to PAP in Wilmington in the mid-80s and finding SIX complete 55-56 Packards - STUFFED full of extra parts and trim. No doubt someone's hoard that lost it's caretaker.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The one with the wide whitewall visible on the LF is a 1955 Clipper sedan. The other one is a 1956 Clipper sedan. Astonishing to see those cars in a pic-a-part; you didn't see sights like that here in the midwest 25 years ago, much less today!

Without the script visible on the front fender forward of the wheel openings, one cannot tell if the 56 is a Custom or Super, but it is clearly not a DeLuxe due to the side trim. The '55 could be either a Custom or Super as well. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Save the Dagmars!...or something like that!
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I am always impressed by the length of the "Clipper" script on the '56s. imagine the manufacturing process for those. It is a shame to see it there.

Comment

Even more of a shame if someone doesn't go get parts off them. These yards turn the cars over about every 6 weeks. Yea, it would be better taken whole, but to see the sheet metal crush and here the glass break in the jaws that rip these cars apart would be very sad.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thought I'd update this. I went to the Pick Your Part 50% of sale today (3-13-15) and both of these Packards are still there. Not much of anything has been removed. The gauges in the dash are gone from both. And, some side trim is gone (may never have been there last time). Strangely someone has cut out the gas cap sheet metal on one of the cars. Otherwise the cars are pretty complete.

The 50% off sale is through the weekend and this is the Sun Valley, CA. location. Warning the I-5 South was/is tied up with a Fed Ex accident. It took nearly an hour and a half to go 5 miles from the 118 to the Penrose exit. Four hours later when I went back the other way the traffic was still tied up for miles.
              Last edited by wittsend; 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

No doubt both were scrapped due to sour Twin-Ultramatics! Many, many, many, 'nice' V8 Packards were sent south due to that transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  No doubt both were scrapped due to sour Twin-Ultramatics! Many, many, many, 'nice' V8 Packards were sent south due to that transmission.
                  I think it's much more likely that whoever owned them passed on, and the heirs sold them to the junkyard. Considering the average age of Packard owners these days....

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I think it's much more likely that whoever owned them passed on, and the heirs sold them to the junkyard. Considering the average age of Packard owners these days....
                    Almost as old as the average new Buick buyer! <G>

Comment

Gauge cluster probably is the set on ebay.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        No, no doubt those poor old V8 Packards are in the boneyard due to insurmountable engine/transmission related problems (In other words, their owners weren't RICH! ).....I've seen many V8 Packards with very nice bodies/interiors go that way over the years.....Sad but true Matt

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          No, no doubt those poor old V8 Packards are in the boneyard due to insurmountable engine/transmission related problems (In other words, their owners weren't RICH! ).....I've seen many V8 Packards with very nice bodies/interiors go that way over the years.....Sad but true Matt
                          Well, I guess you do know everything.

Comment

Don't wallow in the mud with pigs. The pig likes it, and you get dirty
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              Don't wallow in the mud with pigs. The pig likes it, and you get dirty
                              This is uncalled for Brad....Matt, like everyone else, is entitled to his opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X