Avanti Northwest still in operation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Northwest still in operation?

Does Gary Johnson still operate a business called Avanti Northwest in Tacoma Washington?

I've seen his business mentioned in a few articles about the restoration of the LeMay Museum's Avanti 1001, and the recovery and restoration of Dave Kinney's Avanti 1002. I've been trying to find contact information for the business, but I'm not having much luck. Not much on the internet or the yellow pages.

If he is still in business, does anyone have his contact info? Thanks.

Mark L
    Mark L

We are working on the Avanti 1001 up here in Bellingham, I think James Bell did get a part or two from Gary, he did do the restoration on the 1002 Avanti, I think it has gone to the East (Coast?).

It appears that Gary only does select projects and his own cars now, so not sure if he will take on any more, as he has scaled back a lot and moved. His number should be in the SDC Roster.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not too sure if Gary is still restoring Avanti's but what I do know is that I purchased my 1964 GT Hawk (his late father's) from him 9 years ago and never looked back. I love that car.
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I don't have a copy of the SDC roster. If anyone could send me a PM with his information, I'd appreciate it.

Mark L
        Mark L

Comment

Just as StudeRich was saying. He's working on a couple customer cars a year and his own cars.

Comment

I recently called the # in the AOAI roster and it is not a good #. Sent him a letter and had no reply.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The latest roster has him at 8103 Portland ave E. Tacoma, Wa. 98404 253-536-5209
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Thanks canbstudebakers. I had the correct address, but I've been calling the telephone number I found that was filed with his incorporation. I'll give this one a try.

Mark L
                Mark L

Comment

I recently bought a 88 Avanti convertible. Gary provided me much invaluable history concerning the car which he had owned twice in its 22,000 mile history.
                  Last edited by unclemiltie; 02-13-2015, 05:42 AM.
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks guys. I received his email address from another source and it matches what unclemiltie provided in post 9. The 253-536-5209 number provided by candbstudebakers in post 7 has been disconnected.

Mark L
                    Last edited by Mark L; 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM.
                    Mark L

Comment

PLEASE - don't give out e-mail or phone numbers anywhere - unless you change the "@" to "at", the the Period to "dot" with some spaces in between. and phone # to at least a couple of spelled numbers!

Spammers and their "programs" can pick those up on just about any site!
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Mark,

Gary relishes his privacy! You will probably only be able to reach him by contacting him through one of his confidants. I don't give out his ph.# just because he it is obvious that he doesn't want it published. Contact Alan Basile for the most resent contact situation.

Comment

By the way, Club Avanti Northwest is sponsoring an Authenticity seminar with Gary on April 25. Alan Basile could supply details.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...