52 Stude custom from the 60's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Stude custom from the 60's???

Hello, I want to share some pictures of this 1952 Studebaker two door hard top custom that my friend ended up with. We believe it was a custom rod built in the 60's. Some of the changes are: Oldsmobile taillights, 53-54 ford glass roof, 55 ford chrome, 60 Chrysler steering wheel. It looks like it was done very well years ago, then many years later it started to rust and some amateur repairs were done from there. It has a flat head 6 with 3 speed and overdrive. My friend that got this wants me to buy it from him for 3000. I'm not sure This is the type of project for me. I think it would be so cool if it were repainted a 2 tone green and pearl white.

Has anyone seen this car before?

Ralph
    Spokane Wa.
    Attached Files
    49 2r17
    57 transtar
    59 transtar

While I have never seen this car before, it is very cool. Stude customs are in my blood. A 52 probably is extremely rare.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Wasn't that one in a late 1978 or early 1979 TW article?

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 02-11-2015, 06:53 AM.

Comment

cool custom indeed. a guy could do so much with this car...looks like it has so much potential, two-toning would be on my list too. I thought the Furds had more curve to their acrylic Sunliner roofs...perhaps this one was cut smaller to match the crown of the Studebaker? The best custom touch IMO is the tail lights.
        cheers, junior

here is a hardtop that caught my eye as prime custom material too that seems decent for the price...maybe it's begging for a bullet nose clip since it appears the 52 chrome goodies are missing.

Last edited by junior; 02-11-2015, 06:51 AM.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

It's a neat custom. It has been seen before yes, there were a couple of pictures in some thread here on the forum, at some point.
          A few years back it was owned by a gentleman in Montana and he contacted me about the 52 hardtop registry I keep. (I should say kept, as I haven't had any time to devote to it for a while.)
          I could not tell you when the modifications were done. Every picture I've seen going back to 2007 and before it always looks just like it does now.

Comment

I like it That musta been a cool car when it was first debuted .
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

We discussed that car on the forum some time ago when it was for sale. It does look like it was a neat custom when it was fresh. Your pictures are much better than the ones I saw before.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

I see Golden Hawk back window trim plate behind the sunroof and rear window stainless around the sunroof. Looks like a cool car and needs to be refreshed and back on the road for people to see. A two tone paint job would look cool. My friend Gene Winfield would be drooling all over it if it rolled into his shop. Keep us posted on the project if you decide to go for it.
                Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  We discussed that car on the forum some time ago when it was for sale. It does look like it was a neat custom when it was fresh. Your pictures are much better than the ones I saw before.
                  Yes, we did: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rliner+mercury

Craig

Comment

I kinda like this thing too. The two toning that a couple of folks mentioned would be a must. I too thought the Ford "glass" tops were bigger. Didn't they go all the way to the edge of the roof?

Like this:
                    Last edited by JRoberts; 02-11-2015, 02:25 PM. Reason: add picture
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thanks for all the response, It is seriously cool. but I'm not done with my other two projects yet. I don't think it would be too bad to get it roadable. The engine is not siezed. I'm sure it would need all the brakes and fuel system cleaned. It did come with some extra tail lights and an after market replacement drivers side floor pan. I think a few hundred and I could make it drive. If I pass on it, he wants me to see if I can sell it. I think right now he likes it parked at my place instead of his.

Ralph
                      49 2r17
                      57 transtar
                      59 transtar

Comment

There were three pics and a short story on this car in Dec. '76 TW. It was in Colorado at the time, possibly in a wrecking yard, and had Wisconsin plates.
                        In the Feb. '77 TW the very excited original restorer/builder from Seattle provided three pages of pics and story about the car. He had been hunting for it.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

It would be a very neat deal to find the original owner/builder and know the story behind this car. Thanks for the tip. This car is starting to have a more interesting pedigree.

Ralph
                          49 2r17
                          57 transtar
                          59 transtar

Comment

Originally posted by 49 Stude hauler View Post
                            This car is starting to have a more interesting pedigree.
                            Ralph
                            Interesting, indeed... 'kinda like Dick Steinkamp's cart hauler "ute."
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                            X