PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Champion on Craigslist but the Headlamp Rims?

TWChamp
02-11-2015, 06:38 AM
These headlamp rims are painted. Aren't all 1951 headlamp rims supposed to be chrome plated?

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4831822267.html

Roscomacaw
02-11-2015, 10:12 AM
No, "Custom" trim level cars came with painted bezels on the headlights AND the taillights. This isn't an example of a Custom, but thru the 60-some years since it was built, it's picked up painted bezels.

Bo Markham
02-11-2015, 12:17 PM
What do you expect? It's not even a 2 door Coupe!

rockne10
02-11-2015, 02:11 PM
While it may "merely" be a two door sedan, I still challenge any other manufacturers '51 two door sedan to look as swift. That silhouette is still pretty awesome.
Perhaps when it got repainted the headlight doors were pitted and painting was the cheaper option. We may take umbrage at the black paint on the inner fenders and black welt on the rear but, for the most part this looks like someone has tried to keep it pretty much the way it was built. If it were mine I could become very attached to it, even with the six-cylinder automatic. Worth $11,000? If the few restoration errors were corrected; probably.

studegary
02-11-2015, 02:19 PM
The ad states that it is "...a made in California car." Per the Serial Number, this statement is true. The car is a very late 1951 model built in Vernon (LA), CA.

RadioRoy
02-12-2015, 04:01 PM
In 51, the headlight rims were chromed with the exception of the price leader "Custom" models. Custom models (not cars that were later customized) came out in mid-year 1950 and were stripped down to compete with the big 3 price-wise.

A 51 custom has
-painted headlight and taillight rings
-no hood ornament
-one inside sun visor
-no inside door arm rests
-more plain interior upholstery with no stainless on the door panels or around the seats
-a smaller, bullet-shaped trunk handle
-no options or accessories at all
-chrome bar that goes under the instruments ends slightly past the instruments and does not go all across the dash width
-No lock on the glove box door, just a spring friction fit latch
-No gravel guards on the lower front rear fenders
-Rear package tray between the seat and the window is cardboard rather than metal
-No shroud around the steering column and gear selector.

Sdude
02-25-2015, 10:28 PM
41519 before picture of mine. No frills