Gas tank Liquid Liner??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank Liquid Liner??

Considering linning/sealing my gas tank inside. Any suggestions on a brand to use. I used some stuff 15 years ago that was great. Have no idea what's on the market today. Thanks

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

My radiator shop used Red-Kote in the tank on my '51 fifteen years ago. I've had no problem. If you do it yourself, be certain to blow through the fuel pick-up before it sets or it could seal shut, and that would not be a good thing.
    Eastwood and Por15 also have do-it-yourself kits that I've seen used with satisfaction. On the '53, I went again to the Red-Kote.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've used the POR 15 system on my 55 panel in 1998; no problems ever.

Comment

I alwayus use a "two step" process. 1: take the tank to your local metal laundry and have the tank cleaned insude and out (Indy area it's about $35) then after priming and painting the outside, 2: I use a sealer that I get from the radiator shop, it's called "Red-Kote" about $20 a quart.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Gas tank liners are polyurethane coatings. POR 15 is an isocyanate type material and when cured (reacts with moisture) it forms polyurethane. My guess is red cote is similiar.
          Polyurethanes are degraded by alcohol. Gasolines are now a minimum
          of 10% ethanol (alcohol). It is your call as to coating your gas tank.
          If this coating starts to peel or breakdown you will not be to happy with plugged lines and fuel filters[8]
          Good luck with your project.

Comment

Most gas tank sealers claim to be resistant to alcohol containing fuels now. I like the POR 15 product better than the Hirsch product I used. I sand blast the inside of the tank, cover pin holes with epoxy or por 15 on outside, then after thoroughly blowing the sand out, i slosh in the sealer.
            Barry'd in Studes

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Kreem works good too. Get it through your local Motorcycle dealer.

Mabel 1949 Champion
              1957 Silverhawk
              1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              1955 President State
              Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

What manufacturer's claim and what they can actually prove, can be two different things.
                Remember you want the product to adhere to the surface at least 10 years. Accelerated aging tests are only indicators of longevity and not actual proof of resistance.Also, many of these small companies
                do not actually manufacture their own product, nor do they have long term results.
                If you have a leaky tank get it fixed. If it is porous you probably shouldn'tbe using the tank at all.I f it is not leaking and you prevent moisture from getting into the tank, by keeping it full. The tank will last a very,very longtime. The sealers are band-aids. They can not replace lost metal. Many people use Bondo (polyurethane)to fix corrosion holes in fenders. How long do they last[?]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

Kreem works good too. Get it through your local Motorcycle dealer.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                  1957 Silverhawk
                  1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  1955 President State
                  Fresno,Ca

Ann,after being around motorcycles and body shops all my life,I'd have to disagree-I just don't believe Kreem is a good product.I've seen it fail way too many times[falls of in chunks and blocks fuel flow] I wish I'd heard of these other products before I did my latest bike tank-just MHO.

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                  X