Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark windshield and what it should look like

All-

Recently I found a used windshield to replace the cracked one I had as well as the chrome trim which mine did not have. After purchasing the gasket, I took everything to have it installed and am wondering - is the chrome trim supposed to be flush with the body? Mine has 1/4 - 1/2 gap all the way around, and the gasket appears to not be flush in the corners on both sides. I've attached a couple pics to hopefully show what I mean.
    Attached Files
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

That's not correct at all.The rubber should be TIGHT against the body.Looks like they got it half way in and gave up. I'd also guess that they tried to install the stainless trim after installing the glass in the car.The rubber goes on the glass,then the stainless is put into the rubber,then the complete 'glass-rubber-stainless-assembly' is put in the hole!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Wow, that's bad.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Most modern glass shops do not know how to handle these. Modern windshields are simply glued in place.
        You have to "walk" them through it, or better yet, do it yourself.
        As has been stated, the trim goes in the gasket and the gasket goes on the glass before the assembly gets near the car.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you look in most shop manuals they give a very good exclamation of how it's done
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Ok - I talked over the phone with the guy that put it in and he states "We massaged it in as well as it's going to fit! Because this was a used windshield, it probably lost it's shape and doesn't fit real well!"

Does that sound right guys? The guy I bought it from pulled it from a used Lark, I stored it vertical (like it was in the car, not on end) for about 6 months. I think I'm getting jacked around here......Thoughts?
            1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
            1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Comment

Originally posted by oregonroses View Post
              Ok - I talked over the phone with the guy that put it in and he states "We massaged it in as well as it's going to fit! Because this was a used windshield, it probably lost it's shape and doesn't fit real well!"

Does that sound right guys? The guy I bought it from pulled it from a used Lark, I stored it vertical (like it was in the car, not on end) for about 6 months. I think I'm getting jacked around here......Thoughts?
              Yes, you are getting jacked around. They obviously didn't install it per the Studebaker Shop Manual but don't want to admit it.

Comment

We had a '59 Lark that fit like that and found out that a "Butyl Sealer Kit" was used on the body and WAY TOO much was applied to the body for the glass to ever fit. I wonder if they used the proper glass setting clay that must be used, and is available?

It is always good to go to a Glass Shop that regularly does classic cars and is known for that, I am afraid these guys never saw one.

Most Shops Warrantee their work for at least 30-60 Days to not leak, I don't see how this one could NOT leak. Just take it back because it leaks and get a proper re-do.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 02-12-2015, 01:55 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  If you look in most shop manuals they give a very good exclamation of how it's done
                  And the installer will almost never look at the manual. Sometimes they are even insulted that you had the audacity to tell them how to do their job - even when they didn't know.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

"...the trim goes in the gasket and the gasket goes on the glass before the assembly gets near the car."

Maybe the '60 Studebaker was different, but this tutorial ('64 Studebaker) has the gasket going on the glass first, THEN trim installed, then the installation in the car. That is how I did it when I did mine.
                    I’ve watched this being done before, but was still too chicken to try it myself. Last fall, I sold an MGB GT to a young man who lives in the neighborhood.  He had shared with me that he had a…
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Post #10 is probably more correct, but I don't think it's too big a Deal, what IS important is that the Stainless Steel Mouldings go into the Rubber BEFORE the Assy. goes into the opening.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The glass for my Hawk was stored across a couple rafters over a garage for 10 years,then when I bought the car I stored it standing up for another 5 or 6 years,then installed it.Fits fine.
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                        X