1950 Champion Barn Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion Barn Find

A long time friend's family has a 1950 Champion. His mother is going to sell it to me. They have no family attachment to it and it's time to go. I has 72K miles on it and I would be the 3rd owner. I know the complete history of the car. It was last plated in 1963. My friends father bought it in 1994 and passed away a couple years later. The body was fixed and repainted to original color ($2500). The body shop stated it was in very good condition when he restored it. It was running in 1994 not since. I've not seen the car but was told the interior is shot. Assuming wiring is bad also. It has never been parked outside. She is asking $2500, which I plan to pay.

This is new to me and any insight would be helpful. Thanks Tom

I would purchase it now. Why wait??? Post Pictures.

Comment

Yes, buy it now. The price is very reasonable/exceptional given your description. Normally, getting a decent cheap paint job would be the price of your purchase. Depending on the work...the body being "fixed"...could have many meanings, but, the chance for a solid car, this many years out, make it a good risk. You have an opportunity to do something few of us experience these days. That is to obtain a restorable car and remain financially "right side up" through the processl

Welcome to the forum. I don't know how familiar you are with Studebaker, and Studebaker enthusiasts. But, if you are new to us, once you join the SDC, and connect to the resources available, you will be amazed at how extensive our following is worldwide. Great find.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That sounds like a great deal, even if the cars is a 4dr, which I assume it is by the price. The '50 & '51 models have quite a following & are very popular with younger folks, making them a good investment for the future. I get many calls from guys 30 & under who are working on or rodding these models. Bullet nose Studes are among a few cars that younger owners will have in sedan body styles.
        I just snagged a '51 4dr with a locked engine & no title or radiator, but was glad to get one with a super solid body locally for a low price. It is available & I will eventually post some pix on the Studebakersite. A cheep Stude with solid floors is a rare find nowdays!

Comment

Don't even hesitate. Buy the car NOW! Sounds like it's a good deal all around. Since the car was stored inside, the wiring may not even be bad. Don't start tearing things apart unless you know you need to I would concentrate on the electrical system (points, plugs, condenser,etc.) and the carburetor. The carb may need to be overhauled due to bad gas in it. Of course, the oil would need to be changed.
          Good luck with it.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Don't forget to clean the inside of the gas tank. Before starting.

Comment

You will find these "what to do with your Newly bought Studebaker" Tips very helpful.
              ENJOY!

StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to the world of Studebaker. I recently got a 50 Champion and after a few hundred miles realized I need to rebuild the motor but I am not disappointed at all as I planned on restoring this survivor. After driving it for a bit I am hooked as this car gets a lot of attention and drives well for being 65 yrs old. Driving it is like being in a time machine. Good luck and for $2500 I would jump on a rust free car.

Regards
                Ron

Comment

Sounds like a steal of a deal. Buy it quick before someone buys it from under you. Don't take anything apart, but post some pictures of the ouside, inside, trunk, engine, etc.

My favorite car is my 50 Champion, but I wish it could have been a rust free western car. Someone dumped a ton of money and new parts into my car, so it turned out well though, and is a pleasure to drive.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to Studebakers. Here is my best newbie advice.

Don't think that you can make it better by redesigning it with parts from other brands.

Don't take it apart. It is 100 times easier to take it apart than it is to put it back together.

Spend some time and research what you have and ask questions. Learn all you can and realize how lucky you are.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

We need pics asap.

Dean.

Comment

Photos of Car

I have attached a couple photos of car. First time I have done attachments, see if it works. Inside is dusty, of course. Drivers seat is shot but back seat is still intact. They finally got a title from state to allow for resale.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks nice! Tires are a little short, looks like. Good score!
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Click image for larger version

Name:	emo12.gif
Views:	2
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	1699033What on earth are you hesitating for?Click image for larger version

Name:	emo47.gif
Views:	7
Size:	595 Bytes
ID:	1699034 Just the paint job is worth twice the asking price! Outstanding find, congrats!!Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-happy106.gif
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1699035

LOL, sorry, I love being a bit silly about wonderful things like this. Just keep in mind that this is a heavy car with a small engine. She'll be a tad... Well, let's just say the old girl won't be in a hurry to go anywhere. She will get there at a very... dignified pace.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1699036
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I really like that burgundy color. Is that the car's original color? Is it a Studebaker color at all? Regardless, I really like it. Good luck with it.
                              John
                              1950 Champion
                              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                              Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                              X