1963 lark starter stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 1963 lark starter stuck

The starter gear is stuck on my 63 lark 6 cylinder .The starter will turn over and start but it wont disengage. I pulled it off and took it apart I never took a starter apart before, here are some pictures if someone could point me in the right direction of what to do I would be very grateful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150205_212234.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1746257

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150205_221720.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1746258

I don't know exactly what's wrong with your drive, but by looks of the teeth, it's time for a new one anyway.

Comment

The Folo-Thru Drive is supposed to disengage automatically (due to centrifugal forces) when the speed of the flywheel is around 400 rpm. If yours does not, try to lubricate it with thin oil. Don't ever try to push it in tne rearward position (and don't ask me how I know!) or you will ruin it. If the lubrication does not help, you're good for a new one. You'll find some info there: http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74938
      Best of luck and nice day to all. (Of course it's a good day, it's friday!)
      sigpic

Comment

Remove snap ring at base of starter drive "bell" and dis assemble. clean all bits. reassemble. to get drive down spin drive against direction of splines while mounted on armature. use the wire brush on a bench grinder. plan "b" take to local rebuilder and follow their suggestions.someone who does farm equipment starters and automotive starters can help you out. Good Luck Doofus

Comment

Well I think I got the starter taken care of found a new drive for it but it looks like the few seconds that it was stuck spinning it knocked 2 teeth of the fly wheel. Not sure how that happen it was only stuck for afew moments before i realized it and shut it down. Oh well looks like its time to hunt down a new flywheel and pull the transmission again

Comment

Originally posted by azer133 View Post
            Well I think I got the starter taken care of found a new drive for it but it looks like the few seconds that it was stuck spinning it knocked 2 teeth of the fly wheel. Not sure how that happen it was only stuck for afew moments before i realized it and shut it down. Oh well looks like its time to hunt down a new flywheel and pull the transmission again
            IIRC The ring gear can be replaced on the six cylinder flywheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
              IIRC The ring gear can be replaced on the six cylinder flywheels.
              Lost a few teeth on my 1963 Wagonaire years ago. Found that the ring gear was tack welded to the converter! I found a new ring gear over to N/A and took converter and gear to my local welders shop and he tacked the new one on for me. I guess the 6 cyl were a bolt on deal? My Wagonaire was a 259 and Flight-O-Matic combo.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Flywheels and Automatic Trans. Torque Converters are TWO completely different things. The Six is not a lot different in that regard from the V8.
                The Ring Gear on the Flywheel of the Standard Trans. Cars, is removable with Heat, not welded.

Torque Converters have to be re-built by a Converter rebuilder with the proper equipment to properly weld on a New Ring Gear, center and balance a Converter.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 63 Wagonaire ring gear episode was quite a few years ago.
                  And my brain is a bit fuzzy but, If I remember right (?).
                  The welder took my converter with defective ring gear attached.
                  And made up a jig with correct measurements for depth and hight and then removed the old ring gear.
                  Placing the converter back in the jig, he tacked the new gear in place.
                  He then placed the assembly on a lathe and spun it to check for balance.We were lucky I guess as it ran true.
                  Put it back in the car and never had another problem,
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I replaced the bendix on the starter what happen the old one the pin had fallen out that holds it on the shaft. I stuck the starter back on and disconnect power to the distributor cap and cranked it over a dozen times the starter never did grind or skip. I guess for now Ill leave the flywheel alone and if it starts giving problems then ill pull it.

Comment

Azer you dodged a bullet! the ring gear is easy on man. trans flywheels. just need heat from oxy acetylene torch. the ring gear sits against a shoulder on flywheel and any worthy welding shop can do it Good Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                      X