Unusual brochure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual brochure

I'm finding all kinds of neat things in my moving stuff that I hadn't looked at for at least 30 years.
    This brochure is a six-page foldout. The last two pages have a montage of pictures and locations of Studebakers used as taxis. I'm amused that the print is in Spanish, but name of the taxi company is in English, the sign on the hangar is in English and the airplane numbers are American.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I am pretty sure I have seen that Pic in English, so I think they added the Spanish Text to it, for the limited number that would have been printed for export to South America?

The Spanish versions have to be a bit rarer than the English ones, well maybe everywhere EXCEPT at Richard Quinns place!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cool beans, Paul. I happened to notice Mattoon IL because it is near Paris, where I grew up...then I noticed Mattoon IL again, with the same photo! Hmmm....anyone see any other duplicates? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I guess a name like Mattoon WOULD kind of stand out!

I can't enlarge it more than 3 times, so without saving it to a Picture Program it is not legible except maybe with 20 year old EYES!
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Cessna 140 single-engine plane N89140 is from 1946, still registered, still flying, currently in Atlanta, GA. The twin-engine Piper PA-23 N444U is listed as still existing, registered to a guy here in Massachusetts, but no current data in the last 7 years. So, the old planes last at least as long as Studebakers.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Cool beans, Paul. I happened to notice Mattoon IL because it is near Paris, where I grew up...then I noticed Mattoon IL again, with the same photo! Hmmm....anyone see any other duplicates? BP
            I hadn't thought to look closely at the cities, but since you mention it, there are two identical shots from Wheeling, WV. The back cover is actually a continuation of the same montage on the previous page. I didn't bother to scan it.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I don't know how you were able to enlarge it Rich. I tried the control/+ and all I got was the picture to flash but remained the same size. I wanted to see if the taxi company in Woodbridge, N.J. was shown. They were a one car operation but always used Studebakers. When I changed the engine in my 59 Lark of years past the 61 ohv engine I bought was from their old taxi. I was told then it had been rebuilt 3 times before it retired! Ran great for me especially taking the place of the tired flathead that it was made with!
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Sorry warren, the definition is so low when I saved it and enlarged it more it just got too fuzzy to read them all, I did find one from Frank Afton in Inglewood, Calif. though, where my Dad worked. But again the size is too small to make out any detail.

You will have to wait for Paul to see this, maybe he can look at the original and tell if there is one from Woodbridge, NJ.

By the way I did not use the Control +, I just Left clicked the Hand on the cursor on the photo and then the little + sign in a small circle that appears where your cursor is. That worked for me, but of course it still was very poor quality.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich! I was able to enlarge it (with the help of a magnifying glass too) & saw 3 from N.J. but not one from Woodbridge. I have to remember to ask my friend, Brian Kovac if his dad sold the ones to the local taxi company.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                    Thanks Rich! I was able to enlarge it (with the help of a magnifying glass too) & saw 3 from N.J. but not one from Woodbridge. I have to remember to ask my friend, Brian Kovac if his dad sold the ones to the local taxi company.
                    The thumbnail here is a scan of the inside page montage. I scanned it at 600 dpi, but that made it a 12.1 Mb file which is way too big to post. So, I re-scanned it at 200. I looked at both pages, but didn't find Woodbridge, NJ.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 53k; 02-06-2015, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                      The thumbnail here is a scan of the inside page montage. I scanned it is 600 dpi, but that made it a 12.1 Mb file which is way too big to post. So, I re-scanned it at 200. I looked at both pages, but didn't find Woodbridge, NJ.
                      Gotta love the '59-'60 windshield/cowl with the airbrushed 1961 dashboard!!

Craig

Comment

I wonder if they sold them without doors on the right side??
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                        X