Speedster Spoked Wheel Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Speedster Spoked Wheel Covers

I recently bought a set of Speedster spooked wheel covers for my 1956 Golden Hawk. I've seen them on other Golden Hawks and admired how nice they look. The installation isn't as simple as it looks. The mounting ring holes line up, but the wheel cover doesn't fit snugly against the wheel. There's a gap(about a quarter inch) between the mounting ring and the cover. I don't want to shim it for fear it will affect the wheel balance. Any suggestions?

If I leave the lug nuts on and place the mounting ring on top of them everything lines up perfectly but the wheel studs are too short to attach another lug nut to secure the mounting bracket. Help! I noticed in the Studebaker International catalog they sell a wheel stud with a shoulder. Is that what I need? Is that what the shoulder is for?

Jim,....No problem!...Go ahead and 'shim' between the mounting basket and wire-wheelcover with four 1/4" flat washers and change to longer 1/4" screws....I've ran into this before, and this remedy has worked just fine!..Ed

Comment

Be sure you have stock Studebaker rims, it might make the difference.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Speedster Wheel Covers

Here's tonight's hint from Heloise. Before you mount those wire wheel covers, send your wife on a shopping trip and throw 'em in the dishwasher. Use the dishwasher soap and hot water. They came out just great for me.
        Bill
        http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum!

Those wheelcovers will mount flush and correctly on the proper Studebaker wheels. For example, the bolt holes on Lark wheels are the same, but those covers will not fit correctly.

I hope that your 1956 is an early production model. Those covers were only a correct option on early 1956 models, until the new fake spoke cover came out mid-year (1956 model year).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X