Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 and crew cabs?

Did studebaker ever make either?

They made 4x4 trucks from 1958 to 1964 models. They built a couple of prototype crew cabs in 1963. See chapter 12 and following here:
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      They made 4x4 trucks from 1958 to 1964 models. They built a couple of prototype crew cabs in 1963. See chapter 12 and following here:
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp
      Thanks for that link, it explains the strange parts book I have for this 3R 4 wheel drive:

"The reported production of 3R-series trucks, however, was later increased to 10,418 units by including in the total 1199 CKD model 3R48 trucks produced in late 1954. The 3R48 was a 3-ton, V8, right-hand-drive, 4x4 cab and chassis built for the Indian Army, and was a heavier-duty follow-on to the 2R28s built for that country in 1951-52. In fact, they used the old 2R grille19after the other end of the Chippewa Avenue plant had converted over to making 1955-model E-series trucks. In fact, Studebaker, which always reported production totals by calendar year (and never made much attempt to do so by model year) reported these CKD 1954 3R48s along with the CKD 1955 E-series trucks being crated up for export at the same time. Total Studebaker truck production during calendar year 1954 (both 3R and E series) was 16,019 units.
      It is interesting to note that Studebaker successfully competed for V8-powered, 4-wheel drive trucks in a market halfway around the world, but did not attempt to market such a vehicle domestically until much later. "

JDP Maryland

Comment

More info here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=napco

And here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rew+armbruster and here in post #12 http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=armbruster

Craig

Comment

Thirty-five years ago at the SDC International Meet in Gettysburg.

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I posted Ed Ellis' '58 from the 2002 International Meet in South Bend here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=ellis

Craig

Comment

Crew Cabs for individuals were not even in anyone's Dreams in those days, few makes had them, and very few were built. I remember seeing a few late 50's or early 60's 4 door Dodge Long bed pickups used by crews at the LAX Airport.

NOBODY ever put one on the Street, the same was true of 4X4's, the Power Co's. had them in heavy Duty work trucks for off-road use, my how times have changed.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 02-05-2015, 01:43 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by carothersbs View Post
                Hey carothersbs, get on Google, click "images", and type in: vintage crew cabs or .... vintage 4X4 crew cabs either one for some neat pictures !

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Crew Cabs for individuals were not even in anyone's Dreams in those days, few makes had them, and very few were built. I remember seeing a few late 50's or early 60's 4 door Dodge Long bed pickups used by crews at the LAX Airport.

NOBODY ever put one on the Street, the same was true of 4X4's, the Power Co's. had them in heavy Duty work trucks for off-road use, my how times have changed.
                  Yes, Rich, I remember that real well!! Probably the first time I ever saw a crew cab was an International 1/2 or 3/4 ton parked in the median of a downtown street. They were so uncommon back then, I told my mom I saw a 'four-door truck' when I get home, and she did not believe me. It wasn't until a few months later when I pointed out a Dodge crew cab on the road did she actually believe me.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by carothersbs View Post
                    It may be there still. There was a white 4x4 pickup on the west side of D street in Virginia City parked outside. South of the Elementary School. Might still be there. I was told the owner lives in Pahrump and isn't interested in selling, unfortunately.

Comment

Yes they did, both of these are factory experimentals.

'63 Diesel 1 ton 4 door crew cab. Maybe someday it'll get restored.

This one is a Diesel 1-1/2 ton 3 door. Fully restored, but sadly it was lost in a garage fire a couple of years ago.

Last edited by mbstude; 02-06-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                        It may be there still. There was a white 4x4 pickup on the west side of D street in Virginia City parked outside. South of the Elementary School. Might still be there. I was told the owner lives in Pahrump and isn't interested in selling, unfortunately.
                        LeoH, that's funny ! I was out there in the early 90's two different times and tried to get someone to say if that truck was for sale ! It looked pretty neat back then. I may have taken a picture, will look through them !

Comment

I guess that the four door posted by Matt is the one that was owned by Asa. I remember when he first got it - decades ago. Asa drove it over from CT to a Hudson Valley Chapter Meet in Hyde Park, NY. It has gone downhill so much that I do not recognize it (Asa kept it in his Butler building). It has a three cylinder Detroit diesel. The cab was modified by Armbruster for Studebaker.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I guess that the four door posted by Matt is the one that was owned by Asa. I remember when he first got it - decades ago. Asa drove it over from CT to a Hudson Valley Chapter Meet in Hyde Park, NY. It has gone downhill so much that I do not recognize it (Asa kept it in his Butler building). It has a three cylinder Detroit diesel. The cab was modified by Armbruster for Studebaker.
                            Same truck, the current owner got it from Sharon about 10 years ago after Asa's passing. He likely has every part NOS to restore it, but it's been stored outside since he's had it as far as I know. Along with several other rare and desirable Studes.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Who you calling NOBODY, Rich?

Our family vehicle was a '65 Dodge Crew Cab long bed. We drove it everywhere. Three kids in the back seat. At some point the 318 threw a rod. Replaced the engine. Eventually sold it for a very nice '70 Dodge Crew Cab long bed with a fiberglass camper shell. Many times these were our only running family vehicle. Drove them to San Francisco, The Sierra Nevada, wherever. Dad commuted in the '70 fifty miles a day for a year and a half.

I think Dodge started building their crew cabs in late '62 after the new truck design came out in '61. But I think I saw more International crew cabs than Dodges. Theirs started in '58, the year after their new truck design came out in '57. IHC called theirs the Travelette. Yes, it does seem many of both brands were gov't vehicles. Of course with the IHC, if you wanted a family vehicle you could always buy the Travelall, a body style not offered by Dodge. IHC sold a lot of those, but when was the last time you saw one on the road?
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X