No announcement yet.

Bent supercharger bracket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Bent supercharger bracket?

I goofed and sent this with the wrong heading, so I'll try again.

I'm at the point of mounting the supercharger bracket on the engine and I find that it does not fit correctly. The major problem seems to be that the lower arm that attaches to the water manifold is about 3/4" too far rearward. If I bolt that part to the water manifold, then the parts of the bracket that bolt to the upper right water outlet in the water manifold are about 3/4" too far forward. Likewise, the lower bracket that bolts to the exhaust manifold is also too far forward. It looks to me like the lower arm is curved, i.e. bent rearward. Is this a common problem and if so, how is it corrected? Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2396.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1746245Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2397.jpg
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1746246Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2398.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1746247

Application?? What engine in what body style?? Bracket is off of??

Comment

It looks like that Avanti R2 supercharger bracket is ok. Is the nylon bushings in place on the tension arm? Yes, the arm CAN bend as they are steel . I have seen a bent one or two.
      Of the machined surface of the water pump manifold isn't modified, then the holes in the angle bracket should line up with the head studs. If not, I would suspect the angle bracket, not any cast piece. Also, the pivot pins pressed into the bracket are mild steel and if it was dropped just right they can bend too.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This is a supercharger mount for a 1963 Avanti R2.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          It looks like that Avanti R2 supercharger bracket is ok. Is the nylon bushings in place on the tension arm? Yes, the arm CAN bend as they are steel . I have seen a bent one or two.
          Of the machined surface of the water pump manifold isn't modified, then the holes in the angle bracket should line up with the head studs. If not, I would suspect the angle bracket, not any cast piece. Also, the pivot pins pressed into the bracket are mild steel and if it was dropped just right they can bend too.
          The machined surfaces on the water pump manifold appear not to have been modified. If you look at the arm that attaches to the front of the water manifold, it looks like it is bent. My thought is that if that are was positioned further forward so its rear mounting surface was closer to the font of the spring arm, rather than aligning with the rear of the spring arm; then all the mounting bolts would line up with their respective bosses. Have you ever known anyone to heat and bend the arm back to its original position?

Comment

OK, more measurements. The two bosses on the upper passenger water outlet where two of the supercharger mounting bolts go is 4-15/16" rearward of the boss on the front of the water manifold adjacent to the water pump. Those are fixed points and they appear to be original. The arm of the bracket that bolts to the boss on the front of the water manifold adjacent to the water pump is only 4-5/16" from the surface of the bosses for the other two bolts, so the arm of the bracket appears to be bent back by about 5/8". Can this be heated and bent? Thanks.

Comment

See if there is enough room behind the pulley to put a spacer on the bolt where it attaches to the arm. As I stated earlier, the nylon shaft bushings MUST be present for proper alignment of the tension arm. I would add spacers where I could befor applying any pressure to the main bracket. Also, perhaps the Avanti tension arm has a different back spacing than a Lark/Hawk type, and they were somehow switched. Check part #s
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The nylon bushings are in place. The Avanti Parts book calls out the bracket as part number 1556852 and the bracket I have has part number 1556853. Any idea what the bracket is from? The bracket was with the car, but not ON the car when I bought it. Thanks.

Comment

Also make sure the angle bracket that is bolted to the back of the main bracket is installed correctly/ not upside-down/. Although, I would think that would be obvious. I don't have a parts book in front of me, but the McCulloch arm will fit the other brackets, but be the wrong one.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

The angle bracket is an odd shape that will only fit onto the head studs one way. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                    X