No announcement yet.

Supercharger bracket bent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Supercharger bracket bent?

I'm at the point of mounting the supercharger bracket on the engine and I find that it does not fit correctly. The major problem seems to be that the lower arm that attaches to the water manifold is about 3/4" too far rearward. If I bolt that part to the water manifold, then the parts of the bracket that bolt to the upper right water outlet in the water manifold are about 3/4" too far forward. Likewise, the lower bracket that bolts to the exhaust manifold is also too far forward. It looks to me like the lower arm is curved, i.e. bent rearward. Is this a common problem and if so, how is it corrected? Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2394.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1746238Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2395.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1746239

Gin; It would be better if you put up pics. that show the bracket on the water manifold. Since there are threaded studs that are used as standoffs. But that bracket is suspicious, looks like a Lark bracket. Trying to keep it in the shadows?
    This is an Avanti bracket.

[/URL]

[/URL]
    Last edited by Alan; 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Here are some additional photos of the bracket. My thought is that the curved arm is bent back toward the body of the bracket.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2396.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1695324Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2397.jpg
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1695326Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2398.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1695328

Comment

Gin; That bracket is cast iron, it doesn't bend.

Comment

It looked like cast iron to me, too, but there is a gusset in the second photo that appears to be welded on. The gusset is adjacent to the bracket arm where the spring attaches, and it appears that this arm is in the wrong plane. The other four mounting bolts will align with their respective positions on the engine ONLY if the bracket arm where the spring attaches is about 3/4" further from the back of the bracket. If that were moved, then all the mounting bolts would find their proper homes.

Comment

That gusset is cast too. Would love to see what it looks like mounted. The bracket that bolts to the head could be made, no problem. I just can't get my head around your explanation.

Comment

The entire assembly bolts to the engine with five bolts. Two of them bolt to an L bracket that fits over two studs on the cylinder head, two more bolt to the water manifold at the upper passenger side water outlet, and the last on bolts to a boss on the water manifold adjacent to the water pump. (Remember, this is the Avanti R2 water manifold.) The first four bolts would line up IF the part of the bracket that bolts to the boss next to the water pump was about 3/4" further forward. I can't line ANY of them up because the part of the bracket that is supposed to attach to the boss next to the water pump FOULS its mounting boss. Either the boss is too long - NOT LIKELY - or the bracket is BENT. There is conflicting information about whether the bracket can bend. Read this from member Bezhawk: It looks like that Avanti R2 supercharger bracket is ok. Is the nylon bushings in place on the tension arm? Yes, the arm CAN bend as they are steel . I have seen a bent one or two.
              Of the machined surface of the water pump manifold isn't modified, then the holes in the angle bracket should line up with the head studs. If not, I would suspect the angle bracket, not any cast piece. Also, the pivot pins pressed into the bracket are mild steel and if it was dropped just right they can bend too.

Comment

OK, more measurements. The two bosses on the upper passenger water outlet where two of the supercharger mounting bolts go is 4-15/16" rearward of the boss on the front of the water manifold adjacent to the water pump. Those are fixed points and they appear to be original. The arm of the bracket that bolts to the boss on the front of the water manifold adjacent to the water pump is only 4-5/16" from the surface of the bosses for the other two bolts, so the arm of the bracket appears to be bent back by about 5/8". Can this be heated and bent? Thanks.

Comment

I am more worried as to drive belt alignment. Once the belts are aligned, then you can worry about bending things.

Comment

But you don't understand. I CANNOT bolt the bracket to the engine because one of the mounting arms fouls the boss that it is supposed to bolted to. That prevents me from assessing drive belt alignment.

Comment

I need either pics. or the part in hand. The boss you are talking about is where?

Comment

It is just to the passenger side of the water pump on the special Avanti water manifold. I won;t get a chance to post photos until tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Gin; I took out 2 Avanti water manifolds I have. They were both different, one measured 4.890" and the other 5.110"

Comment

I have a need for such a Bracket for a 1963 to 1964 Hawk. Anyone have one to sell. Please pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              Gin; I took out 2 Avanti water manifolds I have. They were both different, one measured 4.890" and the other 5.110"
                              Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information. Where are you measuring? Are the measurements from the flats at the back of the upper water outlets to the front of the mounting boss adjacent to the water pump? That would be the critical dimension in my scenario. If those dimensions are different on the two water manifolds, that could explain my problem.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X