RHC Column Shift Flightomatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHC Column Shift Flightomatic

Hi All, looking for input from U.K, Canadian or Oz Stude Hawk owners familiar with the Cable Control for the Column Shift Flightomatic. Having lost reverse gear, there I was trolling through the manual before grovelling under the car......only to discover a 6 or7 foot long cable that snakes back from the steering column to the rear of the gearbox, loops over to the left side, and then heads forward to attach to the box itself (nothing in the Manual about RHC autos).Once at the box, everything looks normal as per the book. Cable seeems to be OK - I am surmising that as "R" is at the end of the shift pattern, a cable adjustment will do the job. There is a 5" long solid metal casing at the top end of the cable, with a small nut. Can I achieve any adjustment here, or is it at the box itself?? Any assistance appreciated (I can hear that floorshift calling). Cheers, Quentin.

Hello Quentin,
    The cable is the part you adjust. I haven't done it for some time so the memory is sketchy but you adjust the cable not the box.
    Next time I'm driving through Carnarvon I would love to have a look at the car.
    Also if you need any parts or info send me a message.
    Peter

Comment

Quentin,
      loosing reverse gear sounds a little catastrophic. There is an adjuster back there on the cable by the lever. As a matter of interest is there any cable mounting gear that has come loose letting that end of the cable free ?? R for Race (reverse) is at the lower right of the shift pattern next to L so you can rock the car if you are stuck in mud or snow.
      Like Peter, it has been a thousand years since I have been under a RHC Hawk. It is probably the cable that is the problem. I gave a load of the cables to my mothers gardener Phil Harrison in Melbourne when I cleaned up in 2012. He is in the Melbourne club if you need a cable. Most of my stuff was Hawk related.

Greg
      Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
      1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
      1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
      1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
      1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
      1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Quentin,
        I trust your problem is in the cable shift setup but there is another reason for loss of reverse that is inside the auto box. If the front clutch pack starts to lock up & you engage reverse it simulates a pattern of two gears being engaged at the one time which then requires a pull down. I trust this is not the case. Good luck with your further diagnosis.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, peoples. If I can't sort it with a minimum of fuss and it turns out to be a major drama, I have a 700R4 box in the shed, and this hiccup may force the issue. Just means more time in the shed before my "reveal" , as they say on the car shows.
          Quentin.

Comment

Working...
          X