PDA

View Full Version : Studeplane

Kdancy
02-01-2015, 07:21 AM
A picture of a 53 being loaded on a plane. A friend sent it to me.

DEEPNHOCK
02-01-2015, 08:25 AM
(Googling just for the fun of it...)

Operator info
name: Aerovias Sud Americana
Ended operations: 1963
sold to Airlift International, 1963
--------------------------------------

Airlift International

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airlift_International

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/AirliftInt.jpg

t walgamuth
02-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Wonder how it made the turn into the fuselage?

candbstudebakers
02-01-2015, 10:34 AM
turn table maybe?

Flashback
02-01-2015, 10:40 AM
So, could this have been a early show car? That is a tri star on the trunk, right? I don't see commander and any other emblems?? Wonder what color it was?

clonelark
02-01-2015, 10:51 AM
I was hoping they had a ramp to unload it after they got where they were going, that ramp looks kinda funky.

Roscomacaw
02-01-2015, 11:03 AM
The plane is a Curtiss C-46 Commando of WWII vintage. So there's a connection here. Curtiss-Wright - would enter into Studebaker's stewardship - and a Commando hauling a Commander. Such a deal!

Edit to add - that plane is really wide. That fact and that huge cargo door, make loading this car a breeze!

Deaf Mute
02-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Neat photo!!!

studegary
02-01-2015, 11:58 AM
On my small screen, it looks like it does not have tail light lenses and the housings do not appear to be chrome.
I think that it is a very early car travelling to a display (corporate) or show.
It gets me that they are driving, not winching or pushing it, up the ramps and the ground is even wet in the area.

decappastubbie
02-01-2015, 03:54 PM
I hope it didn't high center at the top of the ramp.

jclary
02-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Perhaps the frugal attitude that produced the "flex" frame for those cars, prevailed in building that ramp. To me, no indication that anyone lost sleep regarding how to engineer the "loading ramp.";)

Regardless, to me, this picture reflects an era of "can-do" and, "whatever it takes"...back in the day.:!::)

Guido
02-01-2015, 08:28 PM
A number of years ago didn't someone (Ed Ellis?) acquire a '53 that had gone to Central or South America? I think the car was either owned by the wife of an ambassador or a hotel proprietor. I can't remember if it went by air or boat. Anyone remember this or am I dreaming?

StudeRich
02-01-2015, 10:36 PM
I think it may have Tail Lights alright, but certainly NO below bumper valance Panel and if it had a gas tank you "should" be able to see it! What are they running it on, a Coke bottle? :D

Talk about running on the EDGE. :ohmy:

Andy R.
02-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Starliner in the most literal form of any '53.

kurtruk
02-02-2015, 12:40 AM
I was hoping they had a ramp to unload it after they got where they were going, that ramp looks kinda funky.

Maybe it's already at it's destination and they're un-loading it. I think it could be backing down the ramp.

studegary
02-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Starliner in the most literal form of any '53.

I like Starliners, but this must be some new meaning ascribed to literal. Please explain for those of us that went to school decades ago.

studegary
02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Maybe it's already at it's destination and they're un-loading it. I think it could be backing down the ramp.

That does seem like a good explanation for some of what we questioned.

Roscomacaw
02-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Well, loading or UNloading - either is no less an achievement.

3x2stude
02-05-2015, 08:30 PM
I think its being loaded to go home. There's no place like home, there's no place like home. :)

JK

ed ellis
02-05-2015, 10:17 PM
A number of years ago didn't someone (Ed Ellis?) acquire a '53 that had gone to Central or South America? I think the car was either owned by the wife of an ambassador or a hotel proprietor. I can't remember if it went by air or boat. Anyone remember this or am I dreaming?

Gary, it could very well have been "my" car. It was a Maui blue top Nocturne blue Commander which was airlifted to Guatemala City as a birthday gift for the wife of a hotel owner. She was an American citizen who after her husband died returned to the States WITH the car. I did a frame off and changed the color to Bombay Red. I was lucky enough to get a first at South Bend and later the car was digitally photographed and used by Danbury for their model.

When I spoke to Mrs DeRittcher (the original owner) I asked her why the car only had 27,000 KILOMETERS and her answer was her husband wouldn't let her drive out of the city limits because "the roads were bad and the bandits were worse" It was a radio delete/no climatizer/ no over drive car.

It was an easy resto as the car was expertly maintained by the hotel chauffeur and garaged under the hotel. Totally original except the normal service items and a Chevy style fuel pump. The car resides in the collection of the former owner of Noxell Corporation (Cover Girl Make Up) who has a stunning private museum at his home north of Baltimore.

It's almost possible the car being loaded on un loaded on the airplane is that same car.

Guido
02-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Ed, thanks for the backstory and verifying I am not always as senile as I appear to be.