Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using any hand me down equipment in your studebaker garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using any hand me down equipment in your studebaker garage?

Some have commented on my "jack stands" in the past. I have some equipment in my shop that was "Hand me downs from my Dad and actually from my Grandaddy. I still use these today. I will start by posting some from my shop. Do you have equipment passed down you use in your Studebaker garage?? Lets see it.

JACK STANDS

Wonder what those jack stands started out in life as? Maybe tractor axles?
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Looks like old ford rear axle tubes...maybe?

Comment

My dad had some off those years ago I was maybe 10-12 so thats at least 50-55 years ago.

Comment

Inherited my air compressor from my father-in-law. Made by the Bell System, really well built, has a built in air drying system. I've never seen another like it, built like a Sherman tank.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

My guess is that I have bought about 85% of my tools from pawn shops, 10% are hand-me-downs from my Dad and the rest were bought new.

Comment

I have an old creeper from my X-Wife's Grandfather, that is made of Hardwood strips I think Mahogany, that resembles old Streetcar Seats or tongue and groove Benches etc. looks like early 1900's maybe. He used to be a Mack Truck Mechanic.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a number of hand tools that belonged to my dad, such as wrenches, hammers and drift pins.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I have two steel tool boxes that came to my father when his father died in 1950. I still have - and use - most of the tools. There is a complete set of pipe threading dies and ratchet-head die wrench, files, level, 50 ft and 100 ft K&E cloth tape measures, hand saws, socket set, open end and box wrenches, etc. One of my favorites is a very large "monkey" wrench with parallel, smooth jaws; it's great for those large axle nuts and crankshaft bolts. I haven't yet had a chance to use the flint-equipped sparker that was used to light fuses for dynamite in the coal mines, but I anxiously await an opportunity.
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I still have all of my grandfathers tools, and my fathers tools.
                    Wouldn't part with any of them, and I cry a bit when one does finally give it's last gasp..
                    (Like my Dad's Sioux angle head drill motor... I loved that tool)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

N
                      Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      I still have all of my grandfathers tools, and my fathers tools.
                      Wouldn't part with any of them, and I cry a bit when one does finally give it's last gasp..
                      (Like my Dad's Sioux angle head drill motor... I loved that tool)

Is it beyond repair? The old Sioux tools were really well made.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                        N
                        Is it beyond repair? The old Sioux tools were really well made.
                        I think it is terminal.
                        Fire shooting out is not a good thing
                        If someone knows of a good drill surgeon, I'd consider saving the patient....
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The jack stands are 39-48 Ford rear axle tubes. Thanks for the responses and picture. Here's my next piece of my Dads hand me down equipment.

My Vice

Comment

I have a very large hand crank drill press from my dad and he keep it from his dad, my grand father built a lot of things with this type drill press, will post a picture tomorrow as it is at the shop.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

I might have one or two wrenches from my dad that happened to make it into my tool box. I moved out to California in 73 & when he retired in 89 he sold all his tools for $500. One thing I remember him having was an old Presolite gas tank that I think was from the early teens before electric headlamps were used. I admire you guys that have the inherited stuff.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X