r1/r2 fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r1/r2 fuel pump

does a r2 fuel pump put out more pressure than a r1 tks.

The R-2 pump is able to boost pressure with the tube from the supercharger to the fuel pump diaphragm so yes, it does put out more pressure. When I first restored my Hawk to having a supercharger it was still running with the regular pump. On boost situations the pump could not overcome the pressure of boost from the supercharger & would die out. Installing the R-2 pump & the pressure line solved that issue.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Well, it's a trick question. At non boosted operation they are the same, but once the supercharger adds pressure to the top of the diaphragm, then it puts out more pressure.
      It varies proportionately with the boost
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I bought a mopar pump from Fairborn, like it very much, but if your going for show points, Nevermind.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

tks for all answers.i'll be more specific. i have a r2 with an r2 pump w/o s charger at this point. i'm using an edelbrock 1406 carb. flooding really bad.must be carb prob. not to much pressure. tks alot.

Comment

If your running the Edelbrock 1406, just like mine, it runs rich. I re-jetted mine and it solved the problem. Also run Petronix ignition to burn the excess fuel. That helps drastically to.
            Last edited by cobraman428; 02-01-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

No, do not use an R2 Pump for a R1 application. The Diaphragm Bowl VENT is plugged on all Pumps made properly for a Supercharger.

If you HAVE to use one, it would take disassembly to drill out the vent in the top and of course plug the S/C reference line hole.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

learning alot. can any other pump be used other than stude. for r1 use. if so which is best. tks.

Comment

you can always go to a electric fuel pump at the proper psi. that would also help with any hot weather problems. i'm sure several Studebaker Vendors have them, if a flaps doesn't...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

what mopar pump. tks

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                      I bought a mopar pump from Fairborn, like it very much, but if your going for show points, Nevermind.
                      what mopar pump. tks

Comment

It is the Carter MODIFIED Super Pump replacement for the Original Carter R1 or R2, do not try this at home folks, these 318/360 Dodge Pumps have been professionally, Custom modified before being sold as Studebaker replacements.

As always the Performance Parts Turning Wheels advertisers are there when you need them, at least FIVE or more!

http://studebakervendors.com
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-01-2015, 08:02 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A few years ago a friend of mine bought and installed a Carter MoPar performance fuel pump on his Studebaker V-8. He drove it for awhile, and then the arm actually broke on it. (He hadn't asked my advice beforehand.). So, as StudeRich says, if you don't know what you might encounter...don't do it!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            No, do not use an R2 Pump for a R1 application. The Diaphragm Bowl VENT is plugged on all Pumps made properly for a Supercharger.

If you HAVE to use one, it would take disassembly to drill out the vent in the top and of course plug the S/C reference line hole.
                            Or just use the refrence line fitting as the vent. It will work either way just fine.
                            On the Carter small block Chrysler pump, It does NOT just bolt on. You HAVE to bend the arm to work on the Stude eccentric.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The Carter AFB and Edebrock are specified for 4.5 to 5 psi of fuel pressure. The MOPAR ones I have seen produce anywhere from 7.5 to 9 psi, which MAY cause you to flood at idle.

I have never had an original R1/R2 Carter fuel pump to tell you what they put out in fuel pressure.

BUT, Studebaker did use a bleed back fuel filter, when at idle, fuel is diverted back to the tank, or to the inlet of the fuel pump, which would keep the pressure low at idle.

If you are missing that fuel filter and return line, and running a MOPAR fuel pump, and it is putting out 9 psi, you will have issues.

If running just as an R1, you can use a simple fuel pressure regulator. If you go to R2, you will need a pressure regulator with boost reference (just like on the fuel pump)..

Or just install the original fuel filter and return line.

Comment

Working...
                              X