overdrive governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: overdrive governor

Has anyone ever repaired an overdriver governor? I have one the connector broke off and I was wondering if I can open it without parts flying out or something I can't put back.

I also was wondering if it would be possible to adjust the speed in it. Just a thought.
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

I'd say take it apart, It's already broken so if you can't put it back together your no worse off than before you started. The benefit is you can find out how it works. Good luck, and have fun!

Brian

Comment

I agree with Brian. I'm also wondering why you want to adjust the kickin speed. About 30 feels like the right speed to me. Which way are you wanting to go?

Comment

No real reason to adjust it. I would just like to find out if I can do it. Have this character flaw, a need to see how everything works. That's why I keep playing with these old cars. Not possible with modern cars, I'm almost scared to raise the hood anymore.

I think I will take it apart and see if I can do anything with. Thanks
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

Hey Jim go for it. youll find a handfull of weights centered around a central plunger, this trips the switch on the lid. contacts must be clean and dry but dont file them they carry full batt voltage. i would guess you could change the weight of the weights but that might take a lot of road testing and the supply of Od govenors is finite. Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

Nothing will fly out of the governor when you open it. The contacts are in the cover and sometimes need cleaning to work properly. I have a few good used and NOS covers in my stash of parts if you should need one. Bud

Comment

Once the governor is opened up I clean out the old transmission oil that has creeped in over the years. This gets on the points and they won't make good electrical contact. I use WD-40 and then compressed air, followed up by a dose of alcohol on the contact plate and more air. A run up of the governor with a variable speed drill is a good way to check mechanical and electrical functioning. A lot of governors have probably been discarded over the years that just needed a little cleaning.
              American iron, real old school
              With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
              With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
              With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
              The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
              I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

• robchhi
                robchhi commented
                Editing a comment
                I opened this post because I think my overdrive is not working. When I let off gas at around 30mph and step on the accelerator it seems that the trans is not connecting/or slipping right away and there is no change in the rpm. The OD was disconnected when I bought my 49 2r5. I think I have it all connected and the solenoid is clicking in my testing so my governor may not be working. Thanks for your note; I will look to clean it up.

I havent has a governor apart for two deckades but I bet that you could simply drill the weights with a drill bit and that would work. A numbered drill bit index would work best. If it works I would not mess with it to change the speed as it is hard enough to keep them working. I usually gave up and bipassed them but had to remember to manually take it out of OD before parking. Just pull up tight to one of those parking blocks with a TT vehicle once and you will not forget.
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment