exhaust paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust paint

Just wanted to get any opinions on the best exhaust paint on the market.

IMHO opinion, any good exhaust paint that can be sprayed on parts small enough to be put in an oven to be baked for a few hours. Prepare the metal by sanding or sandblasting, clean with a good solvent, spray with a good paint, then bake the finish on before you put it on your car.

Comment

I've used Eastwoods paint, it worked well. Prepping the parts is key, and following the directions to a T is what I did. Bill

Comment

I like Duplicolor 1300 degree or VHT 1300-2000 Degree Manifold Paint, Cast Iron Gray for the Exhaust Manifolds.

I also use it on the Center Heat Port on the Intake Manifold and the Exhaust Ports on the Heads, under the Proper Color Engine Enamel.

But I have found an unbeatable coating for the head pipes, on back to the tailpipe ends.

There is Cold Galvanizing Zink in spray cans used for among other things, the welds on galvanized Chain Link Fence Posts, this absolutely WILL NOT rust through, and will not burn off.

Even if you bought Aluminized Steel Pipes, the seam welds will rust, so that is what I use with excellent results.

This way, the exhaust system will last a good 20 years or more without the unnecessary expense of Stainless Steel Pipes.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8461.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1695165Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8462.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1695166
          Last edited by Charlie D; 01-25-2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info guys

Comment

I sent my manifolds out to be coated by these guys. www.jet-hot.com They apply some type of extreme high temp power coat. I talked to a lot of local guys that have had this done. I lasts for a long time. It doesn't burn off but it does turn from a satin finish to flat after a year or two.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

If a person paints the manifold, then bakes it in a natural gas oven, can't the paint fumes explode? Or is it already dry enough to be safe? Thanks

Comment

May I recommend Calyx Manifold Dressing? It's not a paint; it's a coating that you apply to the cast iron with a stiff brush. The heat of the exhaust then cures it and it bakes into a hard coating that looks just like fresh cast iron. It even works on rusty manifolds. I've used it and it works!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    If a person paints the manifold, then bakes it in a natural gas oven, can't the paint fumes explode? Or is it already dry enough to be safe? Thanks
                    I am thinking you would be safer to use your "Sister-in law's" Electric Oven!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My Milwaukee heat gun gets very hot. I would think I could just shoot that up the exhaust manifold outlet.

Comment

agree with Clark about Calyx. i used it on my '80 Corvette after many recommendations. easy to use even with the manifold on the car.
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Here's some before-and-after pix of my NOS manifolds. You brush it on with a stiff bristled brush and wipe off the excess. They had light surface rust when received; you do not need to remove this before applying the Calyx, since it encapsulates the rust when it hardens. After being mounted on the engine, they look the same way after 5,000 miles, and my car is stored under a cloth cover in the driveway

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0708.jpg
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1695243Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0577.jpg
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1695244Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0580.jpg
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1695245Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0576.jpg
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1695246Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0710.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1695247

Kerry, it's funny you should mention having used this on your Corvette. Before this was being distributed by Eastwood, the inventor had his own website up; he was a CCA member who wanted a way of refurbing his 'Vette's manifolds without having to pull them!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X