Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rather than go to the Grand National Roadster Show........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather than go to the Grand National Roadster Show........

I cut up a perfectly good 55 Conestoga/Sedan hood and did this with it...
    While the work is obviously not finished, and has a ways to go...and I understand some may like it...some may not, its mine, and I...like it.
    It's about 70% done -

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 01-26-2015, 05:39 PM.

Just think of all the money you saved by staying home, and you still could make more by selling that thing to BATMAN!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mike:
      I'm sure you had a great time modifying the hood, but you really missed a great day at the Grand National Roadster Show. Among others I didn't see, we had 8 Studebakers and a bunch of other "orphans" gathered together near the Suede Palace.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Mike,
        Plan ahead and next year you can attend and still work on your project.

I got home this afternoon and put together the braided lines with fittings necessary for my trans cooler, fabricated brackets on a brake to hold the cooler in the grille. Oh this will be for my daily driver Avanti.

Bob Caser
        mrbobinc

Comment

Hey Bob -

I did plan ahead, I stayed home. Seems I go about every other year. If I have Friday off from work, I head for Pomona on Friday when the crowds aren't so big, and I can snap a few pictures whithout having to wait for people to get out of the cameras way.
          This year, was not my, "off" Friday, so I didn't go.
          Obviously not "like" being there, but Bang Shift and the HAMB have a few guys taking pictures on Thursday and Friday and posting them on those boards. That'll have to do for this year, for me.

Mike

P.s. - Rich, it needs big tail fins and a gas turbine engine for Batman to like it...!

Comment

Coming along nicely.

Comment

Nice workmanship! Looks like a big job.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Bad air out, good air in, I like it. Nice.

Comment

Thanks guys.

So far...it's not as dificult as I thought it was going to be. But I haven't started welding yet either..!
                  Add some crease down the center (longer than the 55 hood had), fold some edges a little. Who'd a thought that the hoods would fit together foward OR backward..?

Now I just have to figure out a way to put a nice edge on the opening..!?!? Maybe...form and weld on a piece of 1/8" brake line...?

Mike

Comment

In the olden days conduit was the builders choice.Those little magazines are chock full of pics of Barris and Starbird using it.That would be traditional
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

bob40 -

Correct. The word "conduit" doesn't specify a size...there are many. 1/8" does. It's a conduit, for brake fluid in the case it was originally designed for. Now it's gonna be used for a support/cleaning up of the back edge of the scoop opening.
                      And yes again, I'm also old enough to have read many of those same magazines, and...that's where I got the idea.

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Looks nice. I hope it won't block your vision too much.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

52-fan -

Well...depends on what you mean by blocking vision.
                          Thanks and no, can't see the end of the hood anymore...but, out about a half a car length "should" be fine. After the car is running, depending on what height the front end settles at (I-6 flathead came out of it), the car will eventually end up a little nose down attitude. So overall, it should be fine.

One things for sure, I'll be able to spot an under hood fire very quickly..!

Mike

Comment

The 55 hood is now a permanent part of the 54 hood. Now for some careful grinding to dress the welds down.
                            After the tack welds, some as much as 1-1/4" apart, I was able to run a full bead of weld between each of the tack's, and I can't feel any warpage/lumps or bumps. Though there is a fare amount of burn thru on the underside that I needed to level off with the flap wheel. I did keep a wet rag handy and run it over each weld, then a spray bottle of water to finally cool each weld as soon as I let up on the trigger. I did skip around too.
                            No burn thru holes, no warpage...just musta been meant to be...as they say..
                            I may add another row of weld to keep the application of plastic to very little to zero. Since the rest of the body is a little ruff in places, I may just put some filler primer on it and what ends up, ends up...
                            I plan on a closeout for the scoops back edge, but I need to make sure the hood and windshield don't come into contact before I do anything. Haven't done that yet.
                            Interesting, I hadn't seen the underside at all till today. The gap at the front of the opening in the 54 hood to the 55 hood is only about 1-1/8", and 3-1/2" at the back. MUCH closer than I'da figured. Just a LONG shallow slope to get there. And my "drain" hole...covered up nice and tight..! Will have to figure out a way to drill another without messing up the "scoop" surface.

Without having a single color paint on it, it "appears" that I accomplished what I wanted to. Just a taller hood, no hugely obvious store bought scoops that anyone can buy..!

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X