Dry tapered hub installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dry tapered hub installation

I've read many of the posts reminding us to install the hub on the axle DRY, but my question is: After the hub is slid onto the axle, can I use antiseize on the threads? Any thoughts on torque adjustment for antiseized threads? Thanks.

I have been told my many to KEEP THEM DRY, as engineering torque figures are without any lube, anti-seize, or anything.
    However I was also told to put a little chalk on the taper before positioning the hub, which I have done for years & it seems to make the hub release easier. I don't recall EVER having problems removing axle nuts; other fasteners, yes. I always use anti-seize when reinstalling body parts, but where a torque reading has been issued, I leave the threads dry. GOOD LUCK with your project.

Comment

I have never had a problem removing an axle Nut, if your threads are damaged they need a cleanup with a Thread Chaser. It should not need anti-seize.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Old machinist trick on tapered drill shanks to use chalk helps keep them together. Not sure how or why but it does work. I used it for long time when I operated horizontal post mill.

Comment

Completely unnecessary... simply follow the Manual as stated--avoid headaches later.

Comment

Working...
          X