3-speed no overdrive gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 3-speed no overdrive gasket

Attempted to have the rear gasket replaced on a '63 Champ 3/speed w/o overdrive trans. Looked to be an easy job if you have a lift. Local competent shop tried to do the work. They've done other major repairs on this truck. Drive-shaft was disconnected, however the mechanic could not get the rear cover to come more than a quarter inch away from the body of the trans. He reviewed the shop manual and determined that the trans would need to be removed and further disassembled to replace the rear gasket. Will not be having that done since nothing else leaks or malfunctions on the trans. They will utilize RTV sealer in the quarter inch gap and reassemble, and understandably w/o any guarantee it will not leak. Can the gasket be replaced w/o the further tear-down, etc?

If the surface is clean and the proper type of sealant is used, it should work. It's worth a try since everything else is good.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

To remove the OD housing you must first pull the OD shifter lever out by driving out the taper pin from the bottom up, then the lever pulls and you can remove the housing.
      Jerry Kurtz, York, Pa

Comment

But it doesn't have an OD housing.....

Comment

I have never heard of a Tail Housing Gasket leaking enough to be repaired, the gap between the machined surfaces would have to be smaller than the molecules of the 90 Wt. Oil, so not much of a problem.
          The Tail Seal however, is another issue, THAT could leak pretty good.

You did not say if this is a 6 (T-90) or 8 (T-85) Trans.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Transmission is a T-85 (V-8). Seal on the drive-shaft has been recently replaced and does not leak. Am hoping as 52-Fan notes that the sealant should work. With only the very small opening to work with it will be almost impossible to verify cleanliness of the surfaces. Thanks

Comment

If you are trying to get that T85 to be leak free, it is not likely to happen. They tend to drip a little, here & there, and the oil blowing around underneath helps keep it oil-saturated (a good thing). They leak, sitting or moving, so mileage and time both, are contributing factors. It takes a lot of drips to lower the oil level significantly, so as long as no puddles, and it only needs topped up every 5000 miles or so, or every year or two, it is OK. I top mine off about every 10,000 miles, or once a year. It usually takes 8-16 ounces.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                If you are trying to get that T85 to be leak free, it is not likely to happen. They tend to drip a little, here & there, and the oil blowing around underneath helps keep it oil-saturated (a good thing). They leak, sitting or moving, so mileage and time both, are contributing factors. It takes a lot of drips to lower the oil level significantly, so as long as no puddles, and it only needs topped up every 5000 miles or so, or every year or two, it is OK. I top mine off about every 10,000 miles, or once a year. It usually takes 8-16 ounces.
                Your description pretty much described things; however, seemed to have been leaking more after the engine gaskets were recently replaced and not as much engine oil was moving around externally.

Comment

Working...
                X