Tag on case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Tag on case

I have a tag on the differential that says 45B. This tag is to identify the ratio. Does any one have the break down to tell be what the ratio is? And it is the Twin Traction model.

I just put a GM700R4 transmission and it has the overdrive. Running 65 MPH I hope the engine will not be turning to slow!

That is just the Twin Traction Tag, the Ratio Tag is on the Left side at 8:00, you are looking on the right side.

If I knew the Model Car, Engine, and Original Trans. Type I could tell you the standard Axle Ratio it most likely came with.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	RATIO.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1695164 I opened the rear end to clean it out and take a look. Here is what I found. There was no ratio tag!

This wasn't to bad of a job. I an replacing the gasket and the pinion seal. My ratio is 3.31! Good to know!

Comment

Usually those tags get left on the floor when somebody services the rear-then swept up into the garbage! .Ratio tag would be 2 numbers,just like what is stamped on the ring gear.
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The tag on my rear says W50/11 that works out to 4.545. Is that a 4.54 rear? I'll try and add a picture of the tag.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1695167
          sigpic
          2005 Dodge Magnum
          1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by MrHemi2U View Post
            The tag on my rear says W50/11 that works out to 4.545. Is that a 4.54 rear? I'll try and add a picture of the tag.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]40732[/ATTACH]
            Yes, it is, and in first gear you can pull tree stumps. I was surprised when I first learned that Studebaker used such a low speed rear end with the overdrives, even though when in overdrive it does kick the ratio up to about 3.19 to 1.

Comment

From the numbers on you ring gear it is a 331
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                From the numbers on you ring gear it is a 331
                You're right, I forgot about the first picture. Someone changed the tag or gears.

Comment

Yep, this is what happened to the tags on my TT - gone with the new carrier Still trying to find a set to replace them.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks guys
                    sigpic
                    2005 Dodge Magnum
                    1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                      Yep, this is what happened to the tags on my TT - gone with the new carrier Still trying to find a set to replace them.
                      Clark, what tags do you need, I have them, looking at a 45B right here in the desk now. have all gear numbers also....Bob
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Working...
                      X