Radiator gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator gone

I recently took my radiator, ('63 GT Hawk, 289) to a local vendor for patching up. I went there yesterday at their request to see if I could identify it in a pile of scrap cores. Bottom line is my radiator is gone, they lost it. Anyone out there have a good radiator for sale?

Also, in the event they try to replace it, can anyone provide the dimensions, neck diameters? I just don't want to accept what they might try to sell me on sight alone.

Hap

I've learned that you need to take pictures of any parts that leave your possession, print two copies, give one to the shop and keep one for your records. This is especially true for plating shops. (what few are left)

Also it would be good to engrave your name on the bottom of the radiator. Too bad we all have to learn these lessons after it's too late. Been there, done that.

Comment

Yep, I generally do take pictures. For some reason I went brain-dead on this occasion. They have said they will make it right, but as they say, talk is cheap.

Comment

INCREDIBLE!!! (and, pitiful) Sorry to hear this. Wish I still had my Superhawk to measure for ya. Best of luck... and, you found out the hard way where never to go again.

Comment

Do you go on the Swap page? This fellow PAUL LAUSCH
          PBLFIRE@PTD.NET

EPHRATA,PA
          717-471-5284
          Has an ad posted 1-15-15 and is listing a bunch of stuff including two radiators with part numbers. I believe one is yours. The Swap Page had some others too. Swap Page :http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

Jim

Comment

I have a very nice one that has been cleaned and tested out of a 63 GT, but it is in California and not a give away price..
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Bob, Joe thinks he still has a GT radiator in his storage shed. We will check.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                Bob, Joe thinks he still has a GT radiator in his storage shed. We will check.
                thanks. I'll check with him. I looked in the parts book and was shocked at the number of radiators listed. I think the correct one is #1554357. They list 4 or 5 for the GT. The vendor is still trying to find mine, but I doubt they will.

Comment

Originally posted by bhapner View Post
                  thanks. I'll check with him. I looked in the parts book and was shocked at the number of radiators listed. I think the correct one is #1554357. They list 4 or 5 for the GT. The vendor is still trying to find mine, but I doubt they will.
                  How can the shop loose a radiator? You hear the same thing going on at plating shops. I wonder if a friend of the shop owner needed it?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    How can the shop loose a radiator? You hear the same thing going on at plating shops. I wonder if a friend of the shop owner needed it?
                    That reminds me of an experience I had with a Chrysler recall years ago. Before the recall, the car had no problems. After the recall, there was a failure that was life threatening. I went to the dealer and was told there was nothing they could/would do about it without a huge charge at my expense! After a heated certified letter and e mail to Chrysler headquarters...I received a call from Chrysler Corporate. They told me that they would tow the car back to the same dealer and repair it at their expense.

I explained that that dealer had already sc#*wd me once, and I didn't think they should have the opportunity to do it twice. The Chrysler rep agreed and towed it to another dealership in a nearby town.

My take on these kind of experiences, is that businesses that become so complacent or careless in their work, do not deserve my business or a second chance. If you can locate your radiator (or what's left of it), take it from that shop and find someone who wishes to grow and keep their business.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I put an aluminum radiator for a CJ Jeep conversion in my 64GT Hawk. It fit fine and was under 200. brand new. The conversion is for a Chevy V-8 in a Jeep.
                      StudeRick & Johna
                      Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1963 Avanti
                      1961 Lark Wagon
                      1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

True Story along these lines: In 1970, I bought a new trihedral hull ski boat I would keep for 39 years, having just sold it a couple years ago. Buddy of mine and his wife liked it so much they went out and bought the same model boat and Mercury engine from the same dealer the next year, new.

They had kids and such...and health issues maybe ten years ago, got into personal watercraft, and weren't using their boat much, so he took it to a boat dealer in his mother-in-law's home town (not where he bought it new) and left it there on consignment to be sold.

Maybe six months later, he is visiting his mother-in-law and decides to stop by the boat dealer and see how the sale might be going. When he got there, the place was vacant, signs down, locked up tight. It had been out of business several months. No boats on the property, much less his.

So when he dropped it off on consignment with minimum paperwork, it would prove to be the last time he ever saw it! He's kind of a milquetoast guy and didn't pursue much beyond filing a report with the police dept; it was sold new before Indiana had titles for boats and he was the only owner, so there really wasn't much way to track it down. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A good warning from Bob. I almost lost my 65 turbocharged Corvair convertible in a similar way. I had it on display at a car museum in Park Rapids, Minnesota. After about 12 months my friends who live a few miles from the museum called to tell me the museum was closed and I'd better check on my car. The car would have been lost had my friends not warned me. When I picked it up it had a dent in the body, a broken remote mirror, and the gear shift knob was missing. Never again, unless it's on loan to a large well established car museum.

Comment

Working...
                          X