pinion seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: pinion seal

I am also replacing the pinion seal on my 1955 dana 44 rearend. not seeing anything in my '53 shop manual about marking the flange and shaft I just went ahead and used a impact wrench and removed the nut and the flange pryed off fairly easy. now browsing at some prior posts, they say you should mark them. At the same time, futzing with my emergency cable I also rotated the wheels. what kind of problem(s) can I expect when I go to put the flange back on? Are the splines not even or some thicker than others? I haven't tried it yet because I was reading these posts just before going to bed. Thanks for any info

I know about keeping universal joints in proper orientation, but I've never heard of having to mark the pinion yoke. I can't imagine it matters.

Comment

Steviewonder ,sometimes the pinion flange will only go back on exactly as it came off. dont make sense but it is what it is. when you put it all back together you'll see. torque that pinion nut, 140-180 ft. lbs. Good Luck , Doofus

Comment

Working...
      X