Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at 60 hawk

Hi Everyone
    Am going to look at a 60 hawk. Would someone please interpret the vin number for me 60V42035
    Thanks so much

Vin numbers started after Studebaker ceased production. That is a serial number - 1960 V-8 (U.S. made) and serial number

Comment

Mark, unlike the vin numbers used since 1980 the number assigned to each Studebaker only told if the car was a 6 or a V-8. The cowl tag just gave the model series & the sequence number that the body itself was welded up. A full breakdown requires you to purchase from the museum a production order. That would give when the car was ordered, the final assembly date, key codes & all options along with the city of the dealer who ordered it, assuming it was an ordered car & not one for factory stock.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The '60 Hawk was the next to the last year for the "Finned" Hawk Coupes, it has many high level Interior trim upgrades above former years.

The Engines are all Studebaker's own 289 c.i.d. V8, 2 or 4 Barrel.

To me an important feature would be which Transmission is it equipped with.
        The straight 3 Speed Manual would be at the bottom of most people's list, but it could be upgraded to an Overdrive 3 Speed Manual, the other option along with a Flight-O-Matic, Borg Warner Automatic.

It is "what you see is what you get"!
        Does it have the optional: Power Steering? Power Brakes? Heater? Radio?, Clock, Tachometer? Reclining Seats, Tinted Glass (Green)?, 4 Barrel Carb.?
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-21-2015, 11:27 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's OK.My kid about threw a fit when he tried to title and license a '79 Camaro.Lady at the dmv told him the VIN didn't have enough digits[STATE EMPLOYEE,supposedly trained to do title and license work]]
          Cars used to have 'serial numbers' then at some point some government entity decided to call them 'VINs'............Big Deal.
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The very "SIMPLE" way I use to describe this anomaly is:

"Serial Numbers" were used (and still are) as VIN numbers until actual 17 Digit equipment sensitive "Vehicle Identification Numbers" were created.

I never have to care when exactly that was, because the Vehicles I care about are all too old to have them, and are registered by their Serial Number, used as a VIN in Two States.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X