12v Climatizer & Defroster motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 12v Climatizer & Defroster motors

I thought I'd share this info for everyone that is switching from 6V to 12V on the C-K cars. The Climatizer (Heater motor AC1-25) 12V motor is NAPA part # 655-1020. This motor fits right into the existing housing like it came from South Bend! The 12V replacement Defroster motor (AC1-164) is NAPA part# 655-1022. This motor also fits into the housing very nicely. However you need to shorten the mounting studs to clear the squirrel-cage. The best part is the two motors cost under $70.00 for both of them together. I hope this helps anyone who is contemplating the conversion.

Brian
    Last edited by brian6373; 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM.

Excellent!

Comment

Great to know. I am guessing, since the motor mounts are same in 6 and 12 volt C/K cars, those motors will also fit 56-62 C/K.
      How about "vent holes" in the motor bodies? The OEM motors are sealed, and that is especially important for the heater motor, due to its location and exposure to the elements. Even if vented, I have sealed them in the past, and its not a big deal to do so.

Comment

Both motors are sealed, there are no vent holes or louvers, and can be mounted without any sealing issues. These are about as direct a replacement as you can get!

Brian

Comment

Thank you very much Brian for that much needed information, I think it is needed more for replacement Motors for '56 to '62 Hawks and all '56 to '58 Sedans and Wagons.

If I am not mistaken, others have used the 655-1020 for '59-'66 Larks and Lark Types and maybe even '63-'64 GT Hawks.

I am sure someone will help me with my memory of that.

Is it the mounting studs that differ between the 1020 and the 1022?

Update: I just remembered the one detail that WILL be a problem IF you care, and if the 655-1020 otherwise fits the '59 and up Cars.

The '59 and up do NOT use Resisters to slow them for Low speed, so that means they are 2 speed motors, so if the single speed earlier type FIT, you will not have low speed, which I have never gotten enough Heat out of to ever use anyway.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Great find on the motors. Now, can someone point me to a source of the squirrel cage blower for the heater? I believe the part number is 532871. Thanks.

Comment

The 655-1022 is a different size physically, from the 655-1020. Both of these motors are "reversible" with an orange wire and a black wire. Hook up the orange wire to positive and the black to ground, and the motor operates in a clockwise direction. Switch the leads and it turns counterclockwise. The motors are not grounded to the case. Both of these motors are a single speed so I guess you could splice in a resistor for the slow speed. Maybe a coil resistor? What kind of car does a 532871 go into?

Comment

Heater Fan Squirrel Cages

Whatever year and models 532871 Blower Fan fits, it's first use was a bit older, about 1953 with that early Part number.

I do not see why we could not find a Ford Econoline or other Ford or Dodge that uses this motor and has a Fan Cage that fits it, and MAYBE our Studebakers.

These more modern Plastic ones are lighter, rust proof and should turn faster and quieter.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Whenever you have a Studebaker part number you can go to your browser and Google Studebaker and than the part number you are looking for and it will show all vendors that carry that part if their website is was indexed or archived.
                  Your 532871 fan wheel shows up on several vendor websites.
                  Robert Kapteyn
                  Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-03-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X