• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake 1953 Coupe

I saw this offering on ebay.

Notice that it is a modified sedan.
    In his write up he said that the car was sold before on a buy it now
    and the buyer backed out saying that he was broke.
    Maybe the buyers found out it was not a "C" body.
    It looks like a nice car for the money but the seller did not state
    that it was constructed from a 4dr.sedan.

Robert Kapteyn

If you hadn't seen the real thing you'd think it was pretty nice.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Perhaps this falls into the deep dark chasm of "buyer beware"?? For that kind of money, it doesn't appear they were bewaring enough. Someone is going to be sorely disappointed when that car arrives, I think. And just imagine how its going to look when they park next to a sweet looking "real" 53 Coupe. Ohhhhh, sooooo sad.
      sals54

Comment

At least its a little more palatable than this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=shortened

Craig

Comment

Some folks are under the impression that any two door car with a "B" pillar should be described as a coupe. I was under that impression fifty years ago as well.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Is it just me, or is there also something "not quite right" about the rear fenderline? It looks odd to me; like it dips too much after the C-pillar. Odd.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The rear windows look strange, almost like they tried to mimic a k model, but did it wrong.

Comment

It does serve as an example of the coupe that Studebaker might have built if the decision not to build the CKs had been made. Picture it as a hardtop, too.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  I saw this offering on ebay.

Notice that it is a modified sedan.
                  In his write up he said that the car was sold before on a buy it now
                  and the buyer backed out saying that he was broke.
                  Maybe the buyers found out it was not a "C" body.
                  It looks like a nice car for the money but the seller did not state
                  that it was constructed from a 4dr.sedan.

Robert Kapteyn
                  Robert, I sent you a P.M. on another topic.
                  Thanks
                  John

Comment

I had a wool hat like that once. It got wet, got squished and no matter how much I pulled it back out and dried it, that hat just never looked quite right.

Having stated the obvious, it would be interesting to see the quality of the conversion. Having built a lot of cars, one can still buy a CK for less than the cost of the labor, paint and body work to make that from a 4dr. What was he thinking?

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

I contacted the seller shortly after it first appeared on eBay and tried to clarify the coupe tag with him. He got beligerant(sp) and was upset that so many "Studesperts" were trying to tell him about his own car. He knew it started as a 4 dr sedan and since he was a retired bodyman that had spent 75 hrs modifying it that it "must" be a quality custom now. He claims to have welded shut the rear doors and chopped 19" out of the roof moving the rear glass forward to look like a coupe. He was expecting it to bring more than the original buy it now of $8500 just because he had spent the hours and done the "quality" work on it.
                      \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                      \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

"...Bonneville 'Tribute' car" Heap funny fellow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by snowy_buffalo View Post
                          He knew it started as a 4 dr sedan and since he was a retired bodyman that had spent 75 hrs modifying it that it "must" be a quality custom now. He claims to have welded shut the rear doors and chopped 19" out of the roof moving the rear glass forward to look like a coupe.
                          His record keeping isn't so good either. There's way more than 75 hours of shop time from a used 4-door to that finished "coupe".

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Not to mention the title says it's 53 feet long.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Where did you find a copy of the Car's TITLE? I don't see one, and the titles of the eBay Ad don't say that either.

Update: Oh my gosh!!! That one little Typo in the Sub Title with the apostrophe AFTER, instead of before the year model '53, really? Give the poor 'Ol 71 year old a Break!

I don't think even Gary L. would fault anyone for that little typo! It's location makes it insignificant.

I like this one, a lot of quality work must have gone into the "Coupe Mod" and I sure don't think he was trying to pass it off as a "C" body either.

One possible Senior moment I see is, he forgot that the engine is not a '64 but a '62 259.

Maroon Type indicates: "after further review of the video replay."
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-21-2015, 02:33 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X