PDA

View Full Version : Need a Hawk engine turned glovebox door overlay

wdills
01-20-2015, 06:01 PM
I am need of a nice used (or NOS if one exists) glovebox door. Actually I don't need the entire door, I just need the engine turned overlay. This is for a 61 Hawk.

I am going to try to put an add on the swap page, but thought I would start here just in case someone has one laying around or knows someone who might.

Thanks
Wayne

sweetolbob
01-20-2015, 09:02 PM
PM me thursday, I have a couple that may fit. I'll find them and take a picture to see if they are correct. Just to busy until thursday. Bob

sweetolbob
01-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Bad News, I didn't need to leave today and I found them. The trouble is they are a different year and are the dimpled style. Sorry, Bob

Xcalibur
01-21-2015, 01:07 PM
If nothing turns up, in a pinch you can try making one yourself... many instructions on-line. "Try" is the operative aspect. From my experience the hard part for a uniform finish is the metal being perfectly flat while machining it. The very slightest bend of any sort anywhere will sacrifice the entire piece. However, it's not that hard doing small pieces with some practice. I've used maple dowels turned to the correct diameter as the "turning tool" in a drill-press with valve-grinding media thinned down with oil until the best/most similar finish is obtained. As with many such things practice and patience is important. Even then, it may or may not be an adequate match, though it can surprise. But, if you have nothing else, it might be worth a shot. I'm not at my computer or I'd add an example pic or two. Best of luck!

wdills
01-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks for looking Bob. Maybe I should clarify a little. I have an overlay but the bottom edge is pretty beat up. I was able to get a very nice overlay for the main part of the Dash. Unfortunately the section for the main part of the dash looks so good that it makes the glove box door look really bad.

Michael J Hawk
01-21-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm looking to do the entire dash on my '61 Hawk. There are different materials I've discovered that might work with practice. The original metal is very thin. My car didn't have a clock but you certainly see where it was supposed to go. I would like to find a good overlay material that doesn't look cheap. There is a sheet vinyl in engine turn available. The real metal in aluminum or stainless can also be had with many different patterns including what Studebaker used. I see it being tricky getting to nest properly on the edges since the original looks like one piece with the bezel trim.

Robert
01-21-2015, 08:47 PM
I'm looking for a 62 GT hawk dash center piece covering where the radio is .Bright aluminum with perforated hole or black dot type.Does anyone have a good extra that they would part with?

wdills
01-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Robert,
I think I have the piece you need for your 62. In the past, someone installed a GT dash in my parts car. I think the center piece is in good shape. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you some photos.

Robert
01-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Here's hoping!PM sent

jg61hawk
01-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Wayne,

Have you taken that dash I sent you to the next level? Is it the one you are using...like in brought it back to life in the Stude world? You can tell I'm hoping but if not that's OK too...just wondering...did you get some good use out of the old girl / boy whatever!

wdills
01-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Hi Jim,
I am not using the entire dash that you sent, but I am using a lot of parts out of it. I took the best parts from yours and the one I had and am making one nice one. Or at least I am trying to.

Wayne

wdills
01-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Robert,
I sent the photos to your e-mail. It has more pitting than I remembered along the top edge, but I will let you decide. I would not use it in my car, but I admit to being a bit of a perfectionist.

Wayne

hthomas567
04-30-2015, 06:04 AM
All,
Speaking of dash refurbishment, I am replacing the vinyl on my 63 Hawk. Two questions: 1. Is the vinyl glued down? 2. How do you remove the strip of metal under the lip of the dash holding the bottom end of the vinyl? I bought the vinyl and the end pieces, but before going to the nuk-option, prying it off with a screw driver, I would like to know if there is a more elegant approach to removing the strip without destroying it?
Thom

rockinhawk
04-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Check with Bob Edwards in Jacksonville fla. At one time he had a NOS one for sale.

studebakernef.com