Studebaker Last Will and Testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Last Will and Testament

With good Studebaker friends leaving us, I'm seeing the confusion and burden which can come from a large Studebaker estate of cars and parts left with no direction or guidance as to their disposal.

I'm going to start a fact sheet for each vehicle, listing back story, work done on it and a guestimate of current market price. This would be what would be necessary to list it on eBay.

Then, the parts. Naturally, a lot more work, but I heard of a friend on the other side of the country whose large collection of old stuff was hauled to the scrapper because no one knew what it was. A tag on anything worth more than $100 and all the stuff for a given year span in clearly labeled.

Then, a Studebaker executor. Who do I know I'd trust to disperse the collection and be fair to heirs and buyers?

Your thoughts on how best to pass it on when you're gone?

jack vines
    PackardV8

That's easy....Get younger members of the family interested in the cars now!....They'll listen, even if they pretend to be bored with it......They'll listen even more when they're told the old cars/parts are worth $$$$$!

Comment

Just stipulate in your will that the vehicles be consigned to B/J or Mecum. Someone will pay more than they are worth and, after fees are paid, your heirs may realize a legitimate return. If they prefer to keep the vehicle/s, they can join the bid.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        That's easy....Get younger members of the family interested in the cars now!....They'll listen, even if they pretend to be bored with it......They'll listen even more when they're told the old cars/parts are worth $$$$$!
        Easy to say, difficult-to-impossible to do sometimes.

Sometimes one gets lucky, but my son has no interest in collector cars and that's OK, because I always encouraged him to follow his own interests.

The saddest car guy I know has spent his life putting together a collection of rare early GM muscle cars and had great dreams of sharing that excitement. His sons and grandsons, exposed since birth, have absolutely no interest. A grandson, given a GTO to drive in high school, complained because it wasn't a Subaru WRX or something cool.

Another friend found and built up a nice Z28 for his son, who traded it for a Ford Expedition.

If pa/grandpa drags them along, they'll go to a car show for a short time, bored to tears and soon be found under a tree fiddling with an ipad.

Your opinions and results may differ.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Once again, MONEY is the universal elixir.....Make them understand the value of the vehicles/parts in $$$$$....and they WILL pay attention! (Sad to say!)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Once again, MONEY is the universal elixir.....Make them understand the value of the vehicles/parts in $$$$$....and they WILL pay attention! (Sad to say!)
            not if all their "buddys" like the rice racer fart-cans! i went thru a similar situation with my daughter when in high school - not a old car - but a RAV4 she picked out at age 15 to drive when she got her license a few months later. within a year, she wanted something like her friends had - Honda/Toyota etc. "car". i was able to take the RAV back for my use and got her a Hyundai Tiburon. she went with me while looking and liked it.

"you go", Mr. Vines! great idea!!!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm glad my son enjoys his 58 Commander. It's the only car he's had since he got his license. The only times he hasn't driven the car is when it was down for repairs.
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1958 Commander "Christine"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

I am fairly lucky in that my Son knows more about what I have and it's value, better than I do.
                Dave Pink
                Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                1925 ER Tourer
                1925 Panel Delivery
                1953 Champion Sedan
                1957 Golden Hawk
                1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

I've got 6 children. 3 boys 3 girls. Only one of them is interested in cars. He's shared my interest in Studebakers, but like me, doesn't really follow the crowd. He drives a 95 Impala SS 6 speed which runs about 450HP while all his friends drive Rice Rockets. But he also has a love for my 54 Coupe. We are in the process of a make-over on that car. Probably won't be done till later this Summer. We shall see how that goes. He understands the value of the car and of the parts, so in that, I'm lucky.
                  sals54

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                    I'm glad my son enjoys his 58 Commander. It's the only car he's had since he got his license. The only times he hasn't driven the car is when it was down for repairs.
                    SO happy I sold that car to you guys!!!

Comment

Fortunately, all 3 of my kids (2 sons and a daughter) appreciate Studes in general, and know their value. The parts collection is also understood. At this point they all have other tastes in vehicles, but will someday probably be caretakers of a Stude or two. Bill

Comment

Jack, I have pondered exactly this. I was especially affected by the passing of Torrey Kirby, with the mess/burden he left his grieving widow, and in particular, how the town set upon her almost immediately to clear out his ~100 mostly parts car collection. I pledged to love my family better than that and embarked upon a multi-year project of downsizing. I has been quite difficult at times; some stuff couldn't even be given away, and I shed more than a few tears sending some cars, including a few Studebakers, to the oblivion of the crusher.

My plan is to let go of the pack-rat mentality and narrow my holdings, not just cars and parts but real estate, to a bare minimum: one or two projects at a time max, three finished collectibles, and only the parts needed for a current project, buying as needed. I've come a long way, but I still have a little to go. I can only emotionally handle doing this one segment at a time. But, the comfort of a beautiful woman and our son is worth more to me than an emotional tie to mountains of stuff.

I told Linda- keep anything I had only because YOU or Rob actually like it. Otherwise, eBay everything else with no reserve and be done with it; don't get trapped in sentimentality like I did with my father, which accounted for a lot of the crap I had. If an item comes along that rates special attention, I'll touch base with her; or if not, eBay. The idea is to relieve pressure, not add to it. Good luck with yours.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

My brother, brother-in-law, and I have a pact to dispose of each other's Studebaker stuff, in event of death. Of course, the "last one out the door" will have to make other arrangements

Comment

With no children and wife, I think donating it to a museum is a good idea.

Comment

Its getting really difficult to interest your own kids in the things that excite you. Different generation...different ideas on what is important to them. My kids have no interest in my car and motorcycle collection and see them only as old junk that does not meet todays safety standards and their disposal would only be a burden for them. Fortunately, I have some good friends who have kids that are interested in antique and classic vehicles and I intend to see that they get first crack when I get ready to move them on. I would rather see them go to good homes at a reduced price then to some speculator looking for a resale profit.

Comment

Working...
                              X