Rules for Valve cover racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for Valve cover racers

I am planning to build my first Studebaker valve cover racer. I would like to make sure I don't get to an event only to find out I have broken some rules. Can someone tell me where the rules are so I can review them?

Thanks
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Search TURNING WHEELS a few years back. I believe Richard Dormois printed the rules.
    Basically 10 pound maximum weight, must be a Studebaker valve cover, cannot exceed factory width & length by more than 10%, no sharp edges.
    Here is one of mine. The only drawback is that it is apparently a real problem for hosting chapters to locate a track to use at a meet. Cedar Rapids had a neat one with timers, lights, and all. Spokane and Glendale only had ramps... but it is still fun & I hope someone can sponsor them at all International Meets.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	#77 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1695102

Comment

Thanks Duane. I'll see what I can find.
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Conatct Jack White. He is on this forum. The North Carolina Chapter SDC began having valve cover races at its Tri-State Meets many years ago.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Your best bet is to get with th epeople putting on the race YOU will be racing at..!

As...I assume you did...I took a look thru the internet and found a lot of rules. Most all are different..! The main exception...no motors, no engines, nothing to propel the cover except gravity.
          Weight - different
          Wheel size/diameter - different
          Metallic vs. nonmetallic wheels - different

So yea, get with the promotors putting on the race YOU will be attending. Otherwise, you could be left watching.

Mike

Comment

Years ago at the IM in Charlotte, I built a car for the valve cover race. Without going into a lot of detail, the main purpose was to get some pictures of the valve cover racer on the track. The valve cover was from a '62 Lark that circulated through our family and friends in the neighborhood from the late '60's until I got it in the late 70's.. At one point in time the "Sparkle City" boys took the valve cover to a local artist in the 70's when the owner at that time left it at the local service station to be serviced, and had him paint flames on the valve cover. My method of determining weight was to stand on the bathroom scales with and without the racer. I was way off because it weighed over 2 lbs. too much when I checked into the race. That was the day I met Ernie Padgett who has since become a good friend, He was in charge of the valve cover racing, so when my car was disqualified, he let me put the car through some runs to get pictures.
            Now, the valve cover is back on the car, and all of the "Sparkle City Boys" have a picture of John Cable's (the artist) masterpiece in action.

Comment

Did some searching....
              Here are some links to some possible info...

(rules)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

How about if someone showed up with one of those long Packard V8 valve covers.....Would they be allowed to race that?

Comment

THANK YOU Jeff! That is exactly what I am looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                    THANK YOU Jeff! That is exactly what I am looking for!
                    Just wait until the Studebaker Valve Cover Racing Trivia forum thread starts........

(Question): Who has the shortest valve cover racing career known in the Studebaker world?

(ok...ok... So it was 'The long Distance Award'....Jack White felt sorry for me)
                    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-26-2015, 07:02 PM.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Some pic's from an earlier SDC valve cover race at the Charlotte IM ('05 IIRC)...

(and these kids wanted to catch hurtling 10# chunks of steel bare handed )

Jeff

Comment

Here are photos taken at the International Meet in Cedar Rapids back in 2009. Notice the electronic Christmas tree & timers.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	CR valve cover 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1695175 Click image for larger version

Name:	CR valve cover 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1695176 Click image for larger version

Name:	CR valve cover 4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.9 KB