T10 4 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T10 4 speed

I may look at a 4 speed out of a 63 hawk tomorrow and am wondering if it would bolt up to a 3 speed bell housing?

Thanks,
    Sam

It depends on what 3 speed bellhousing you've got. Also depends on which 4 speed it is. Just cuz the trans came out of a 63 Hawk doesn't mean it was born there. No 4 speed will bolt up to a T86 bellhousing. A T85 might bolt up to a later model 4 speed. Why not just get the 4 speed hellhousing at the same time?? Not available?
    sals54

Comment

If it is a T10 with the Ford pattern from a 1963/64 , it will bolt up.
      If it came from a 1961 or 62 with the Chevy pattern it will not.
      Chevy ears sideways , Ford ears up.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
        I may look at a 4 speed out of a 63 hawk tomorrow and am wondering if it would bolt up to a 3 speed bell housing? Thanks, Sam
        No 4 speed will bolt up to a T86 bellhousing.
        I'd have said, "It depends."

Yes, the later ('57?-64) V8 3-speed bellhousings, both T85 and T86 are usually same as the Ford pattern rectangle.

No, the '51-56 V8 T86s have the square pattern and don't match the Ford rectangle.

Maybe, give us the year of the bell you want to bolt.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Well my car is a 59 Hawk, the bellhousing I think maybe stock to the car, but the engine that came in it is a 55' 259. It has a 3 speed o/d trans of unknown condition. I wish I would have looked it better when I was there working on the car Saturday (the car is in storage 1 and a 1/2 hrs away from me), but didnt know about the 4 speed until Sunday.

The 4 speed I am looking at has the ford pattern and it doesnt sound like the bellhousing is available for it.

Comment

I actually found a picture of the bell housing from when I pulled the 259 out. Its from the wrong side, but maybe someone can still tell if it has the ford pattern?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130907_141355.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1695100 You can see the bolt pattern still. It looks to me that it might be ford, but not sure.

Comment

Sam the bolt pattern you are looking at is not what you need that is the studebaker motor side. You need the back side where your trans bolts to the housing. Just measure center to center on your bolts and one cross measurement. If it's the same a your replacement trans. it should fit the bell housing. Only issue maybe the front spline and where it fits inside the bell.

Comment

Well my car is a 59 Hawk, the bellhousing I think maybe stock to the car, but the engine that came in it is a 55' 259.
                So, it comes down to did they swap in the '55 tranny or only the engine, retaining the '59 bellhousing and tranny.

If it's the '59, you're good to go.
                The 4 speed I am looking at has the ford pattern and it doesnt sound like the bellhousing is available for it.
                Actually, they're common as dirt and sell for scrap price.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Well knowing that the bellhousing is pretty common, I think ill buy the trans provided that it works. Now just waiting to hear back from the seller.

Comment

I have a 63 259 that currently has a 3 speed with OD the unit it came out of had a 4 speed therefore in 63 the 3 speed and the 4 speed are interchangeable. I also have a 54 T86 that has a different bolt pattern and will not fit.

Comment

I finally was able to talk to the seller and will look at it on Weds. He said its in nice shape and the gears look like new, but the original shifter thats attached, is worn. I would probably switch to a hurst. Does anyone know if the 3 speed and 4 speed are the same length? I am just wondering if Ill need to modify my drive shaft.

Comment

Get the 4 speed drive shaft with transmission if you can as they are longer the 4 speed hawk one is about 57-1/2 inch long from cup to cup. and fatter around about 3" total.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

The guy no longer has the drive shaft as he sold the car the trans came out of years ago. My car appears to have two drive shafts? It looks like a short one that goes from the trans to the frame and then a long one that goes from the frame to the rear end. Would I need to change out both or just the front one?

Comment

The two piece driveshaft is not compatible with any of the '58-'64 long Tail slip-in Yoke Transmissions including the 4 Speed.

But it appears that your car is not really a '59, or it has been converted back to the '53-'57 Two Piece Driveshaft to match a short Tail Transmission? Maybe the whole power train then is 1955?

You may have to have a driveshaft built to fit the mismatched Driveshaft to Transmission, because there is a bolted on Yoke on the Old Trans. and a slide-in Yoke on the "New" one.

I think I am beginning to understand the Hawks name!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              The two piece driveshaft is not compatible with any of the '58-'64 long Tail slip-in Yoke Transmissions including the 4 Speed.

But it appears that your car is not really a '59, or it has been converted back to the '53-'57 Two Piece Driveshaft to match a short Tail Transmission? Maybe the whole power train then is 1955?

You may have to have a driveshaft built to fit the mismatched Driveshaft to Transmission, because there is a bolted on Yoke on the Old Trans. and a slide-in Yoke on the "New" one.

I think I am beginning to understand the Hawks name!
                              Yes lol, this is exactly why I call the car "The evil Hawk". Its full of surprises and never ceases to amaze me (most of the surprises so far have not been good). I am beginning to wonder about the frame as well... I think Im going to take some pictures of this thing when I work on it next. I am not sure if this is a 59 body dropped onto a 55 frame or if its a 59 with a 55 drive train. whatever it is its definitely been hacked together.

Comment

Working...
                              X