Differential operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Differential operation

Dad was trying to check the condition of the center support bearing in his 50 Champion, 3 speed overdrive. Car is up on jack stands. He couldn't turn the driveshaft by hand with the car in neutral. So he tried turning the rear wheels to turn the drive shaft. The rear wheel turn in opposite directions without turning the drive shaft.

I think the wheels turning in opposite direction without turing the drive shaft is normal, if not please set me straight. The thing I don't understand is, why can't we turn the driveshaft with the car in neutral. Could this be something to do with the overdrive?

I apologize if this is a stupid question that everyone should know the answer to.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Try turning the driveshaft with the overdrive locked in and again with it locked out. You should be able to turn the driveshaft, just as if the car was coasting, as long as at least one rear wheel is off the ground and the tranny is in neutral.

You are correct that one wheel will spin in the opposite direction if the driveshaft doesn't turn. Also if the driveshaft is turning and one wheel is stopped, the wheel turning will spin at twice the normal speed.

Comment

If you are interested in understanding how the differential operates,
      Go on Youtube,
      "How Differential Gear Works"
      It's a 1930s film from GM. Basic but very clear and informative. 9 min, 31 sec long
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
      X